Puzzle #8 is HERE!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
After two weeks of great fun, we have finally arrived at the Final Puzzle of the 2015 BASH.

This is a crossword puzzle and it will also be used to break any ties for the overall puzzle prizes if necessary as explained here

You must sign in when you start this puzzle and record your starting time, then record your ending time when you finish. We ask you to record your times for convenience in processing your entries. Be honest in recording your times because they are also recorded in the bash server logs, and we are able to verify your entries.

When you finish the puzzle and get your completion code, fill out all the information in the Submission Form (especially the Completion Code and ending date/time) and submit the form before the deadline. You will earn one point for this puzzle toward the overall prize and you might win one of the individual prizes for this puzzle.

The deadline for this puzzle is 9:59 PM, Central Time on Saturday, February 28. Any entries received after that time will not be accepted.

Post any questions in this thread and I will do my best to answer them as soon as possible.

Don't forget to read the Puzzle Contest - Official Rules and make sure that your Public Profile contains your real first and last name!

Good luck everyone
Edgar

Krash

What do we do if it resets in the middle and clears the puzzle? I was about half way through when it did this. Do I start over?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What do we do if it resets in the middle and clears the puzzle? I was about half way through when it did this. Do I start over?

It doesn't really matter if you continue with that puzzle or start over - your start time has already been entered & that's what will be used even if you start over.

Unfortunately, there is no way for us to tell if someone has to start over because of a glitch, power outage, computer crash, Internet disruption or whatever vs someone who might try to cheat by deliberately restarting after working part of the puzzle and seeing all the clues.

Even in the case of a legit restart like yours, the player still has an advantage of having seen at least part of the puzzle.

The only suggestion I can make would be to make periodic screen shots or printouts so that info can be rapidly re-entered in case a restart is necessary.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The puzzles do not self-submit. I do not receive any completion messages unless you actually finish the puzzle and enter the completion code.

If your browser hiccups & clears the puzzle or blanks the screen or some such, just redo the puzzle and submit your entry when you actually finish it.

Everyone who finishes the puzzle, regardless of time, will have a shot at the individual puzzle prizes. The time element will only be used to break ties for the overall puzzle prizes if necessary. Excessive time due to an unfortunate computer mishap might penalize you if you wind up in a tie for an overall prize, but it won't affect your chances for an individual puzzle prize.

Edgar

Leo S. Long

Well I finished the puzzle, finally. Start #1 Had one word to go and deleted the puzzle :eek:. Start #2 Finished! and was so excited that when I went to post it I forgot the completion code :eek:. Start #3 Finished! Well its over and it was fun anyways. Next time I must pay more attention to what I am doing. Thanks to all who helped to put this on.

Leo

SteveJ

TICKLE-TONGUE TICKLE -TONGUE TICKLE-TONGUE.

I've been beaten again. Once word left and I've exhausted my brain power (what feeble brain power I have) and I've exhausted my time.

I have a feeling I will be slapping myself on the head when I find out what the answer is.

Got stumped on three of the puzzles this year (identify that wood, identify the penmaker and this one).

Can't feel too bad, I did win one of the daily prizes.

Thanks for the fun Edgar!

Krash

The puzzles do not self-submit. I do not receive any completion messages unless you actually finish the puzzle and enter the completion code.

If your browser hiccups & clears the puzzle or blanks the screen or some such, just redo the puzzle and submit your entry when you actually finish it.

Everyone who finishes the puzzle, regardless of time, will have a shot at the individual puzzle prizes. The time element will only be used to break ties for the overall puzzle prizes if necessary. Excessive time due to an unfortunate computer mishap might penalize you if you wind up in a tie for an overall prize, but it won't affect your chances for an individual puzzle prize.

Edgar

I got up this morning and it said it had submitted even though I had not finished it.

Oh well, it's all fun!
Thanks Edgar!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I got up this morning and it said it had submitted even though I had not finished it.

Oh well, it's all fun!
Thanks Edgar!

There is no way you could have gotten a "form submitted" message without a ghost or something at your house! When you complete the puzzle, it gives you a popup with the completion code and the link to the form to enter the code. If you do not click on that link, it will not take you to the form. If you do not fill out the form and click the submit button, you will not get the form submitted message. They are two completely different components on the system and one does not even talk to the other in any way. The puzzle software is not designed to be used the way I am using it. I edit the software to include the completion code and link to the form. It is just a simple href link. I woudl love to see this message if anyone could duplicate it and post a screen shot.

jcm71

5 hours to go to get my last word. I am not charmed by it. I feel obtuse (which is a perfect word for Edgar to have used in this puzzle).

SteveJ

Here is a link to what I suspect he is referring:

Screenshot by Lightshot

That is at the top of the page before completing the puzzle. I believe it refers to the submission of the starting time.

You will note that I haven't yet finished it and my starting time was almost 8 hours ago.

My wife says it is taking WAY too long and the nothing is worth wasting a Saturday on. If it wasn't so cold out I would have long ago left this and gone to turn some pens. The potential prizes could be dwarfed by the value of pens I could have made in the same time.

And it is not as though I really have any bragging rights anywhere on the IAP!

I'm not as smart as I wish I was. Guess I'll be rejoining the loser train...

Steve

Krash

yeah, I'm stuck on the orchestra clue.

Maybe I'll come back to it in a bit.

That's what stumped me too. And I've got three kids who play in different orchestra's.

I would guess it has little to do with orchestra's and more to do with being short (of brain power....)

I got it right but I still can't figure out the clue. :eek:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a link to what I suspect he is referring:

Screenshot by Lightshot

That is at the top of the page before completing the puzzle. I believe it refers to the submission of the starting time.

Yes, that message is displayed as soon as you get to the puzzle screen. It is simply confirming that you submitted your start time and is working exactly as it is expected to.

jcm71

That's what stumped me too. And I've got three kids who play in different orchestra's.

I would guess it has little to do with orchestra's and more to do with being short (of brain power....)

I got it as well, more by accident. Still can't figure out the clue. One four little word still giving me fits.

SteveJ

I got it as well, more by accident. Still can't figure out the clue. One four little word still giving me fits.

Try Tickle-tongue that is the newest IAP four letter word...:)

markgum

well I'm BASH'ing my head against the wall on a few of them still. time to take a short break the clock is ticking....

ChrisN

I'm stuck on the orchestra one, too. All of the others I got after a bit of searching, but that one...:at-wits-end:

jcm71

Finally got it!! My wife has been looking at me funny for the past 10 days. Glad this is over. Now I can go make some pens.

SteveJ

Mercifully we will soon be able to stop thinking about it. Then we can start slapping our heads...

Seems like few of us think like Edgar thinks. Not sure if that is a good thing or not....

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well folks, the time has expired for Puzzle #8. No further entries will be accepted.

The Puzzle #8 winners and the overall Puzzle Contest winner will be announced sometime Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Top Bottom