Bonus Puzzle Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
And the winner of the Bonus Puzzle (Wood ID Contest) is:::::

envelope please ...

without further ado.....

I know I've got it here somewhere........

SKEWER

with the correct answer of........

ALABAMA SUPPLEJACK

Congratulations Jeff!

You beat out some very seasoned wood hounds and richly deserve the bragging rights of "2015 BASH Bonus Puzzle Champion"

You will also get a box of my Texas blanks including an Alabama supplejack blank.

Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Honorable Mention

I want to thank everyone for playing the Bonus Puzzle game, but I want to give an honorable mention shout-out to the following players:

1. Karl99 who guessed Buckthorn in Post #17.

Alabama supplejack is a member of the Buckthorn family (Rhamnacae) but it is a very large family and not a specific enough of a guess to identify a particular species, even if this had been a Buckthorn tree of some type. This was the post I was referring to in one of the hints.

2. Sylvanite who guessed Enigmawood (Araucana dohmania) in Post #198.

This was definitely the best non-guess post. If you missed it, be sure to go look it up. :)

3. Tom T who guessed Pink Ivory in Post #384.

As it turns out, Pink Ivory is actually related to Alabama supplejack. Both are in the supplejack genus. Alabama supplejack is Berchemia scandens while Pink Ivory is Berchemia zeyheri. Most supplejack species are climbing vines, but a few of them are trees.

4. Sylvanite who guessed supplejack in Post #471.

Supplejack is the correct common name for the genus Berchemia; however, that genus includes over 30 distinct species of plants. As a result, it was not specific enough to identify this specimen. Alabama supplejack is sometimes simply called "supplejack", but that is technically incorrect and would have to be considered an AKA which is disallowed by the rules of this contest.

I don't have a prize to award, but you can each pat yourselves on the back for earning Honorable Mention. (Eric, you can pat yourself twice. :))

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Karl_99

Wow! Thank you Edgar

I think the prize committee ought to consider a pen blank of Alabama Supplejack as an appropriate consolation prize!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The Backstory

I found this Alabama supplejack specimen quite by accident. I was clearing some brush that was crowding the roadway leading down to our pecan grove in Columbus about a year ago. Most of the brush that I was cutting was common stuff like Hackberry, Ash, Prickly Ash, Yaupon, etc. However, when I was cutting one clump of brush I found a large vine in the midst of the other stuff that I had never seen before. It was in a bad place and had to come out with the other brush, but I cut it into a few smaller pieces and threw them in the back of my truck so I could research it later.

I spent almost as much time trying to identify this thing as you guys did on this contest. I studied every Texas plant guide that I could find on-line or in my own library, but I couldn't find anything that looked like this. The leaves did look similar to buckthorn tree leaves, but those are trees and this was a vine, so it didn't dawn on me that they could be closely related.

So I searched on. I finally found an old geological survey of Colorado County that looked interesting. It was primarily a soil and terrain report, but it did divide the county into a number of sections by soil type and listed some of the common plants found in each section. The report did not include a map - instead the sections were identified by mileage markers and milestones, so I had to figure out which section we were in from these descriptions. The plant list for our section of the county included one called Alabama supplejack - it was the only one that I had never heard of before, so I looked it up and there was my vine.

I knew right then that this would be a great IAP wood ID candidate - especially when I could not find any mention of it in any of the IAP archives. I was just hoping that it would make a decent pen.

Here's some photos of the vine that I found. The first is the "trunk" nearest the ground. Supposedly Alabama supplejack can get up to 6" in diameter - this one was a little under 3" at the base. I am saving this largest piece for bottlestoppers, mini-birdhouses or such. I painted the ends and stored it in a plastic bag so it will dry slowly.

I cut some blanks from a section of the vine that was about 1.5" in diameter, painted the ends and stacked them to dry. Even with the ends painted these things split badly. Fortunately, they vine was large enough that I could make a pen of them even with the splits.

The remaining piece is about 6 feet long and ranges from 1.5" to 1" in diameter. Being a long piece, it is drying slowly enough that the splitting is minimal. I'll let this dry for a few more months but it should yield a number of decent pen blanks.

The third photo is a close up of the twisted part of the vine. No wonder that one of its AKAs is "stranglevine".

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Alabama Supplejack native to Texas. Whodda thunk it!

Congrats Jeff (Skewer). Way to stick with it! :)

I was certainly surprised!

Here's a link to the USDA distribution map for it.
Plants Profile for Berchemia scandens (Alabama supplejack)
If you zoom in a bit, you can see the individual counties in each state where it is considered native. Interestingly, this map doesn't include Colorado County even though that old geological survey does list it as a native plant in my section of the state.

You can see that the greatest concentration is in AR, LA, MS and AL -- it is actually found in only a very small part of Texas.

It is obviously a rarely occuring plant in my area even though it is considered to be a native. Since finding this one, I have searched for others. So far I have found a few very juvenile vines, but nothing large like this one. I suspect that a bird dropped the seed for this one some years ago and the seeds from this one have probably propagated the others. They are in the general vicinity of where I found this one, but not where they will damage any useful trees or encroach on our road, so I'll leave them alone & watch them grow.

Skewer

Thanks Edgar! It's nice to hear the story behind it as well. I'll go ahead an put that lofty title in my signature block. I'll see the rest of you guys in the trash talk forum! :tongue:

Tom T

Edgar,
Thank you for the amazing run down of this wood. I was honored to listed among such great pen turners. I was running out of names at the end. I said to my wife I have some of this in the shop. And sure enough I found it. I think it was from John U from last years auction. Well it was a cousin to it.
Thank you for all the fun.
Tom

Top Bottom