The Kitless Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1 - This is a contest challenging all pen makers to make the Best kitless Pen.

2 - For this contest it must be either a Roller Ball pen or a Fountain pen. NO Ball Point Pens, there are other contests for ball point pens. It must be a conventional style Pen. NO Musical Flutes, Enterprise Space Ships, or Realistic Cigar shapes, etc. Those are for the Free Style pen contest.

3- Materials and Methods; The pen may be constructed from whatever materials(s) you choose. Conventional or unconventional. You may make the pen with the following ready made components,

-The clip,

-The ink delivery system, ie. a refill for the roller ball , fountain pen feed assemblies, including ink cartridge/ pump/reservoir, feed and Nib. You must make the front section for the pen.

4- You can make the pen using any tools available to you as long as you make the pen. That includes but is not limited to wood lathes, metal lathes, cnc equipment , Mills, casting equipment, etc.

5 - Only one pen per person, It may not have been entered in any of the other Bash contests. Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see. Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract from your pen.

6- A maximum of 3 photos will be allowed.

7- We will keep the entries anonymous through the use of the entry form.

8 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2015 on IAP or any other site. If it is determined that it has been shown elsewhere it will be disqualified and any prize won will be forfeited. As a follow-up to clarify this, do NOT post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest is over, the polls are finalized and the winners have been announced.

9- Finalists will be judged based on;
Originality of design
Workmanship - The Overall fit and finish. It should be flawless.
Use of material - Composition and originality.
Over all looks – We want the most beautiful pens.
Apparent writing comfort.- Does the pen look comfortable for writing.
Durability- How well does it look like it will hold up to use.

10- All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

11- A poll or polls will be posted, voted on by the membership. The number of polls will be determined by the number of Entries to narrow down the submissions for final judging and a final poll will be used to determine the winners

Submissions:
Entries will be accepted starting Sunday Feb. 1st and all entries are due 11:59pm EST. Monday February 16th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
The first poll will be posted on Feb. 17th, either Runoff Polls to determine the finalists, or if limited entries are received the Poll to determine the winner. Polls will be posted and run for 72 hours.
The second set of Polls if needed will be ran at the conclusion of the Elimination Poll(s). It will be posted and run 72 hours at which time the winners will be announced and the poll results made public.

Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

Click here for the Entry Form

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is a quiet hush over the meadow this morning, an anticipation of things to come strolls along the pathways. Somewhere a Pen Turner contemplates pieces of wood and plastic as he mulls a design over in his head. It isnt quite there yet but he will soon have his masterpiece designed in his mind and will start to set it to paper. He sips his coffee and starts to draw.

Elsewhere there is building excitement as the Trivia builds its obnoxious self inflating presence into a full boar runaway contest of bravado and self hype.
Ran by an out of controll Barker from a defunct circus out of South Dakota, it gathers in more members with bright lights and ringing bells and promises of glory and riches.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Our Pen Turner has nurtured an idea for a while now and with a few strokes of his pencil it takes shape and comes to life. Now the hard part which materials to use? Resins? Maybe wood is the key. Segmentation is a must........ some metal accents are called for. He makes his decision and reaches for a blank...

D.Oliver

Our Pen Turner has nurtured an idea for a while now and with a few strokes of his pencil it takes shape and comes to life. Now the hard part which materials to use? Resins? Maybe wood is the key. Segmentation is a must........ some metal accents are called for. He makes his decision and reaches for a blank...

How many times do I have to tell you? QUIT LOOKING IN MY WINDOWS! And I was reaching for a EasyFlow 9000 refill anyway......

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have 4 days left to get your pen made including today. If your going to enter now might be a good time to start that pen! IF your one of those people that wait until the last moment, have another cup of coffee and there is always tomorrow.

brownsfn2

I might need every last minute of the day on Monday to enter my pen. I am just headed down to shop now to finish the part I have had most problems with. It will either blow up of be fantastic. :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yep today is a good day to start your pen. Yesterday was better but at least get started. IF your really good you could wait until tomorrow but starting it on Monday may be pushing it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Entries are starting to come in. If you send an Entry and You did not get a reply from me that I have received it, pm or email me to make sure I have it!

brownsfn2

It blew up. ;) But fortunately it was only a small part that blew up and could be recreated.

This was great fun!! What a challenging way to spend a week! Thanks!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How about a sneak preview. We have 6 great pen and I know your just itching to see the competitions pens..

Well sneak a peak at these samples

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• teaser 9.jpg
    teaser 9.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 302
  • teaser 11.jpg
    teaser 11.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 300
  • teaser 12.jpg
    teaser 12.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 313
  • teaser 10.jpg
    teaser 10.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 306
  • teaser 13.jpg
    teaser 13.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 300
  • teaser 8.jpg
    teaser 8.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 308

brownsfn2

Oh man. That preview surely tells me I am out of my league. :)

I really think that if you are still considering entering you should. It is really a satisfying experience to challenge yourself to learn and do something even if it does not all come together as expected.

Good luck to all!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not that Im nagging mind you, but you should really get started on that kitless pen entry. Nothing like waiting until the last moment.:biggrin:

Top Bottom