Photo Tips and Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Here are some tips on how to take pictures of the four sides of your blank.

If you have a square blank, only turn the part you want to enter round. Leave the rest square. That will make it easy to flip 90 degrees for each photo.

If you have a round blank, here are pictures of some easy to make jigs (from pen blank scraps) for holding the blank to easily allow controlled rotation.

If you have any tips, questions or (photo related) comments, post them to this thread.

Ed

Attachments

• Tip_0.jpg
    Tip_0.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Tip_1.jpg
    Tip_1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 271

scoobydooo9r

Props?

Hi, I had a question concerning the rule of having no props in the photos. I see that the first post shows the use of wood blocks to hold up a round blank, but I was wondering what exactly qualifies as a "prop".

I was thinking about having a flat mirror on the table that the blank will be above so that it can show more of the blank, but I don't know if that is considered a prop or not. Just wanted to double check before I take a bunch of photos that can't be used.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Zac - The photos in this thread were just to illustrate a couple ways to hold a blank for picture taking. They would not be good photos for contest entry.

The second photo could be cropped to create an acceptable entry photo (see below). Since you will be submitting a photo of each side of the blank all parts of the blank will be visible in at least one picture. No mirrors needed or allowed.

Any other questions? Ask first and shoot later.:)

Ed

Attachments

• Tip_Cropped.jpg
    Tip_Cropped.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 196

scoobydooo9r

That makes sense. I saw the little wood holders, and then thought about the mirror idea then thought I should double check on that. Makes more sense to just get close up shots anyway. Thanks for your help Ed

Top Bottom