Pen Blank Check-In

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Have you already decided to participate in the Pen Blank Creation Contest? Great. Reply to this thread with "I'm in!".

Not sure if you have what it takes to compete with the best blank makers on the planet? Don't lose heart. Have you seen those incredibly ugly blanks for sale that seem to be selling like hotcakes? You never know what might catch people's fancy. Make a blank and take a chance. You just might get the votes. Need more enouragement, post here and ask for additional motivation.

Already decided you are not going to enter the contest? Ok, I know this is the most amusing place to hang out during the bash, but we can't keep the entertainment coming if nobody plays. It's time to do your part to support the best pen forum and the best bash contest on the planet. Make a blank and enter the contest.

Really want to enter but you don't know where to start. I've got more blank making ideas than I could ever get to in a couple of lifetimes. Just post and ask.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Sure got a lot of "views", but no check-ins yet. Come on!! Don't be shy.

What if I were to tell you that the grand prize for the blank making contest was going to be a Tesla Roadster. Would that get you excited enough to enter?

Ed

Brian G

I need another Tesla Roadster like Parkland, FL needs another palm tree, but I'm in.

I figure my effort, if successful, will either be good enough to enter this contest, or will be eminently qualified for the Ugly Pen contest.

Ed McDonnell

2 entries!! We've got a horse race. Welcome Edward and Brian. I guess Edward's entry came in while I was typing because it wasn't there when I started typing. Maybe people are waiting for me to be typing before they check in? Let's see if someone checked in while I was typing this.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Fantastic Warren. I'm looking forward to it. Heck, even it your blank doesn't work out, submit it anyway. If you write a really sympathetic artist statement you might get the sympathy vote.

Ed

Brooks803

I'm hoping to enter. Got a lot going on that ties up most of my free time. I do have some killer ideas floating around in my head though that do need to be let out soon!

Quick question I just thought of. This might already be covered in the rules but I can't recall. Are we allowed to make a finished pen from our entered blank to be used in another contest?

Ed McDonnell

Hi Jonathon - I hope you can find the time to pull together an entry. This could be your big chance to finally get some recognition as a blank maker. :rolleyes: Or think of it this way, having a prize winning line of blanks couldn't hurt sales.

A blank entered in the blank contest can NOT be used to make a pen for entry in another contest. But that shouldn't stop you.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Woohoo!!! I'm getting excited. Welcome to the party Dale. I'll bet you have something great in mind. I can already feel the membership stomping their feet in excitment....oh wait, that was just a truck going by. But I'm sure they are excited. I know I am.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

It's time to do your part to support the best pen forum and the best bash contest on the planet.
Ed

Thanks for the plug Ed.

I'm glad to see you are working on behalf the the truly best contest. I knew you would come around. Now seriously Derek. I expect to see an entry from you. I know you got some talent in blank making. Either of those you put together for the December swap would have been real contender. Your secret is out. You actually do make things and those things are pretty nice. Can I get a "I'm in" from you? Come on Derek, you can do it.

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've never made a blank before - might as well give it a try once.
Wonder what I can do with an old tennis shoe?

Ed McDonnell

Hi Edgar - I can think of lots of interesting things you might do with different parts of an old tennis shoe. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with one. Thanks for joining the party.

Ed

Brooks803

Hi Jonathon - I hope you can find the time to pull together an entry. This could be your big chance to finally get some recognition as a blank maker. :rolleyes: Or think of it this way, having a prize winning line of blanks couldn't hurt sales.

A blank entered in the blank contest can NOT be used to make a pen for entry in another contest. But that shouldn't stop you.

Ed

lol...I think with all the new members and me not having as much time to turn my own castings I might need that recognition again! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification. It doesn't stop me, but now I know that I can't kill two birds with one pen blank :smile-big: (at least not like Phil did in the ugly pen contest!) lol...shoulda saved that for the trash talking contest, but oh well.

Ed McDonnell

its not a guarantee, but i might be able to. Can you post a link to the rules?

Hi Seamus - I am really counting on seeing your entry. I'm sure everyone is!! Don't let us down.

Here is the link to the rules:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f282/welcome-2015-blank-creation-contest-129627/

Here is the link to the Blank Contest sub forum. There's also a thread in there for photo tips that some may find interesting.

Blank Contest Sub Forum (for the full bash experience)

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I'm in...wouldn't miss it

Welcome to THE Contest Wayne. We've got excellent participation from Texas this year. Must be something in the water in Texas there that inspires creativity and self confidence.

We've got pretty decent overall participation from the US this year (but we can always use more). We even have a firm commitment from Canada and a maybe from Australia. But what about the rest of the world? UK? Ireland? India? South Africa? Belgium? Netherlands? Spain? Sweden? South Dakota? Mexico?

I know there are pen makers here from other countries than the ones I listed (post was getting too long, so I stopped listing) as well. Step up and show the IAP (and the world) what you can do. Make your countrymen proud. There is still plenty of time to get an entry ready for this contest. Go for it!!!

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Seamus is in? Game over.:rolleyes::wink:

Hey, Hey, Hey!. What kind of attitude is that? I thought you guys from Utah were made of sterner stuff. You don't see the guys from Texas getting concerned about the competition. :biggrin:

Wait a minute. I'll bet you are just trying to scare off the folks from the UK and Oz. It seems to be working. They haven't checked in yet (and they can't blame it on the time zone thing at this point). There has to be somebody over there (there being anywhere but here) that can make a blank to enter into this contest.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

We have our first contest entry received and it's not from Texas. Not from the UK either (where are those guys?). It is one fine looking blank and right now it is in first place without any voting having taken place.

Want to have a sure shot at second or third? Maybe try and knock the current king of the hill of their throne so you can claim first place? You got to be in it to win it. Get those entries done and submitted.

Ed

wyone

OK.. I am in. I have a blank I created that I like a lot, but have not had a chance to complete the pen yet. I will have to go find it and take some pics. I am sure it is not the caliber of the experts, but hey, as of right now I could be in second place! :)

Ed McDonnell

Mitch - You can definitely move into at least second place if you get that blank in soon enough. You could even put that in your signature line during the bash!!

Don't sell yourself short. Experts can be over rated. :)

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I'm on the try, try again part of "if at first you don't succeed". :curse:

Let's see...you are on the second of two tries after after first failing to succeed. That sounds like you are primed for "third time is the charm". I'll be looking for that entry any day now!!

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Sorry Mitch - We are now up to 3 entries with a bunch more on the way.

NOTE TO ALL ENTRANTS:

Make sure the pictures of your blank are 960 x 480. The blank contest is a little more generous with picture size than some of the other contests. So, 960 on the long side, not 800.

Also make sure that your blank takes up most of the 960. A beautiful blank that only takes up half the photo length will have a hard time competing with other blanks that fill their frames.

If you have any questions or need help with your photos, send me a PM or an email.

Ed

Top Bottom