WTF update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deadhead

I've been experimenting with the process I use for applying WTF.
This is how I was doing it:

Using a makeup sponge I apply 10 coats of WTF @ 650 rpms, waited 1 min between coats to dry. I use the stop watch on my phone to time and keep track of coats. I set that blank aside and do the other one. Then go back to the first one and lightly dry sand with 1200 grit paper, then 10 more coats; be careful not put too much on so that it doesn't get ripples.

I let them sit for 3 or 4 days; I have a piece of plywood w/ finishing nails in it so they stand on end. Next I wet sand w/ Micro Mesh about 2 seconds for each MM step; be careful, anymore and you may sand through them which I have done. I then apply plastic polish, then buff w/ the two wheel system Barry Gross sells.

I apply it the same, but now I just sand with 1200 grit, then buff with tripoli, white diamond, then the Barry Gross two wheel.

The first photo is the old way I did; the next two are the new way.

Note: With these two pens, I also put two coats of General Finishes sanding sealer and sanded with 1200 grit in between coats.

1_IMG_0367.JPG
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/18564/1_IMG_0367.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deadhead

The 3-4 day wait is for curing;" WTF is a non-toxic water/oil urethane hybrid" (this is copied from their website, link below). I think i'm going to eliminate the 1200 grit sanding before the buffing. I have two cigar kits one is curly maple, the other is padauk, On all blanks, one side had a nice glass look it it, the other side; a dull sheen to it. Prior to me sanding and buffing all the pieces where glossy. Tonight I'm going to apply 10 coats on all pieces and just buff out in 4 days to see what happens.

I will update in 4 days; if anyone else has any thoughts/suggestions, please comment.
Ben
Wood turners finish is a water & oil hybrid finish for wood turnings. | General Finishes

Dick Mahany

Woodturners Finish. The wait, I'm guessing, is to let it fully cure. I just ordered some and plan on trying it soon

I have all but switched to General Finishes WTF and love this stuff. Tough, durable and polishes incredibly well, no odor, fast dry.

I typically use 10 - 15 light coats and hit each one with a Ryobi heat gun set to 500 F for about 20 seconds at about 8" away at 650 rpm. Sand every 3rd coat back with 600 wet.

I installed a two lamp CFL set up directly above the spinning blank and have noticed an interesting phenomenon. The wet WTF dies back in gloss with heat for the first few coats, then glosses up again right before my eyes. As more coats are added the die back after application becomes less noticeable. I see no changes after several days, and now many months, so I'll keep doing this. The ridges formed from applying with a t-shirt also seem to flow and blend more by doing this.

Last edited:

CoastalRyan

Woodturners Finish. The wait, I'm guessing, is to let it fully cure. I just ordered some and plan on trying it soon

I have all but switched to General Finishes WTF and love this stuff. Tough, durable and polishes incredibly well, no odor, fast dry.

I typically use 10 - 15 light coats and hit each one with a Ryobi heat gun set to 500 F for about 20 seconds at about 8" away at 650 rpm. Sand every 3rd coat back with 600 wet.

I installed a two lamp CFL set up directly above the spinning blank and have noticed an interesting phenomenon. The wet WTF dies back in gloss with heat for the first few coats, then glosses up again right before my eyes. As more coats are added the die back after application becomes less noticeable. I see no changes after several days, and now many months, so I'll keep doing this. The ridges formed from applying with a t-shirt also seem to flow and blend more by doing this.
Little confused. Are you saying the use of the heat gun increases the gloss.

Not sure I understand the use of the heat gun. Is it to keep the finish from being wavy or rippled?

I've been using WTF for some time now and as much as I like it the only way I could get a straight finish was to build it up with 15+ layers and smooth it out with a green micromesh pad.

I can get a great buff out of it initially but it doesn't seem to hold that polish very well for me.

Dick Mahany

CoastalRyan;1587377 Not sure I understand the use of the heat gun. Is it to keep the finish from being wavy or rippled? I've been using WTF for some time now and as much as I like it the only way I could get a straight finish was to build it up with 15+ layers and smooth it out with a green micromesh pad. I can get a great buff out of it initially but it doesn't seem to hold that polish very well for me.[/quote said:
The heat gun merely helps speed the drying process. It also helps smooth the spirals out a little, but I still cut back and wetsand every 3rd coat. What I noticed is that the heat gun actually causes the gloss to die back somewhat as the WTF cures on the initial coats, but this effect seems to diminish as more coats are built up. I use the die back to tell me when the coat has dried.

raar25

I have been using it like a friction polish on my bowls and it dries almost instantly. The key I have found as will all finishes is to put light coats on. I do wipe the last coat on with the lathe off and let it air dry and get a much higher gloss.

Scruffy

I use GF WTF and mostly like the finish I get.

I do put it on thin.... (and with a CLOTH rag, I know, I know, but it works better for me. I am very careful.)

I do find that some woods Camphor and Splated maple for get a better finish with Behlen's WTF (cut 50/50). I also have had good results with Doctor's Walnut Oil Finish.

LagniappeRob

I tried using it like a friction polish but wasn't pleased with the build up. Thin coats and waiting worked better for me. A small fan blowing across the blank as it spins helps decrease the wait like heatgun did for them - my shop has been pretty hot up until lately - though not 500. I have one but not sure the circuit out there could handle both the lathe and the heatgun at the same time.

Deadhead

I use a medium CA to fill small gaps and voids. Can you use the WTF over CA?

I have done it on a couple of pens that I thought might come apart as I was turning them (posted below); one of the things I like about WTF is it is thin enough to run into the voids on not fill them. the pens below are like that. That's just my opinion though.
Ben

Deadhead

Finally got a chance to buff the blanks from my earlier post. The curly maple came out real nice; the padauk, not so good. I might go back to my original method minus the wet sanding.

The quest continues.

Top Bottom