WTF Observations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

After a couple of hits and a couple of misses with Wood Turners Finish, I think I finally got it to a predictably good application. Just thought I'd share...

I've always used the "sponge" application method, as per Ed Brown's video Exotic Ed's video, but I would occasionally get frustrating ripples in the finish. The trick for me was to put it on thinner and to put on more coats. For the first coat, I wet the sponge until there aren't any dry spots where I'll be touching the pen - I'll guess that's 8-10 drops. On that first coat, it sometimes still wants to go on to heavy, so i'll paper towel off the excess. For the next couple of coats, you don't even need to put any more product on the sponge - just make a few light passes back and forth across the blank and you'll see the blank shine with dampness. From there forward I generally add 1 drop of WTF to the sponge between coats (while I wait my 1 minute for it to dry). Sometimes 2 drops if things seem to be getting a bit dry, sometimes none if things feel to wet. I put on a total of maybe 12-15 light coats like this.

After drying overnight, I buff with Tripoli very lightly, then White Diamond.

I've done a couple in a row that turned out good and I like this finish on natural wood for it's softness.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I picked some of this up a while back but have yet to veer to far away from my CA method. How does this finish hold up to use and abuse? Is it just a water based friction polish?

budnder

I've heard it asserted that it should be good since it's based on a floor finish, but can't say I recall seeing anyone report back after any length of time.

My wife latched on to one I just did and has it in her "pen cup", so that will take some abuse. I'll try and report back after some number of months.

Kinda funny, I did two pens the other day, one a gorgeous multi-color worthless wood Retro that I think is the coolest thing I've ever made, and a pedestrian Cigar in red stabilized white oak that was some unknown color between pink/red. The Cigar was pretty average, in my opinion so I thought I'd use it to try another WTF finish, and see if I could replicate success again. I show the worthless wood to my wife and she instead spies the Cigar in my other hand and starts making over it, oohing and aahing, and raving on the coloring... demanding it be hers. I had to ask her specifically for an opinion on the worthless wood one, and she's like... meh... Goes to show you how different tastes can be.

More4dan

What does the TLA (three letter acronym) stand for...
WTF. Why the face? What the @$#%? Wood turnIng fool?

Last edited:
Top Bottom