Will this work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I want to be able to fill in the pores in woods like Bacote.

It is suggested to use BLO while sanding to fill them in.

Would I be able to use the Behlens "Master" finish after that?

I'm not ready for the CA finish (it's in the mail).

Could you spray poly over BLO?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Mike,
If you need some CA, I think I may have an "extra" bottle or two at home. Sorry, can't answer the question about Behlens.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yes you can use any finish over BLO.. just make sure it is dry... you can do that by burnishing with a brown paper bag after sanding and wiping down with a paper towel .. the heat will dry the blo and the paper bag will act like super fine steelwool cloth to give the blank a shine...
I would recommend a coat of sanding sealer buffed out with 000000 steel wool cloth though.. it gives a nicer underfinish... in fact on some pens I use 2 coats of sanding sealer, buff them out and then use 2-3 coats of TSW followed by Ren wax.. it is a nice finish... YOYOSPIN uses the same thing I believe...

driften

Thanks Guys... I have not seem Chestnut at Woodcraft but they have Mylands Cellulose and at 25% off right now so I guess I will give that a try.

MDWine

Jim, yes, Woodcraft.
From their site:
Cellulose Sanding Sealer. A lacquer-based clear sealer and finish that dries to a soft sheen. It is specially formulated to work with any Mylands finishing product or by itself. A brilliant high gloss finish can be achieved on turnings when used in conjunction with High Build Friction Polish; a rich matte finish when the waxes are used. This product does not contain shellac. 500ml bottle.

I used it on my last Bocote, and it filled in more of the pores. Not quite all, but just enough.

JimGo

Ron and Kevin, TSW is a caranauba (sp?) based-wax formulated specifically for pens that was developed by one of our members (DCBluesMan). You can find it at Pens of Color.

Michael, thanks for the info on Myland's! I bought another sanding sealer, but haven't tried it yet. May try the Myland's too, just to see if there's a difference.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use both the Chestnut and the Mylands Cellulose sealer, they are basically the same stuff... I have seen no difference when using either one..
I find it to be really good as a base coat on oily woods when doing a CA finish... certain oily woods like cocobolo and BOW can be a bear to finish with CA sometimes... the sealer keeps the oils away from the CA and results in a nicer finish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom