White ends on Ca finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

r-ice

Normally I like a matte finish and don't do much CA with accelerator. I've just started to use that reusable aerosol style spray I bought here on a group buy. I am finding I am getting white ends and am not sure what is causing that. Anyone have any idea? I was doing a layer of mylands, with a few layers of thick CA and a spray of accelerator and finishing off with a few layers of thin CA with accelerator. I am finding with the accelerator you get so much CA flash at the ends of it. I need to go find some adhesive sand paper for my sanding mill from rherell.

http://imgur.com/Fihs6
http://imgur.com/iPL34

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mb007

from the pictures, it almost looks like the CA has pulled away from the wood. I've had this happen to me in the past when trying to remove the bushings after applying the CA, and my blanks looked just like yours do. There are several different methods for separating the blank from the bushings - some use a parting tool to gently cut the CA off the bushing, some use delrin bushings, and so on. I bought some delrin rod and made a couple conical bushings to solve my problem - I can use the same bushings on all barrels that don't have 7mm tubes.

I've also had issues with the ends of my blanks being slightly "cloudy" in the CA finish. The CA is still stuck to the wood well, but it has a little bit of a dull finish. My guess here is that I'm not hitting the ends as well when I sand/polish, leading to them not shining up as well.

Last edited:

bradh

CA can turn white when it sets too fast. You want only a slight mist of accellerator with the spray pump held a good 8 to 12 inches away from the blank.
I try to create the smallest mist possible and let the dust collector flow carry it accross the blank.

r-ice

I was taking that the ca does look like its pulling away from the wood when I am separating. I don't know if I'll keep to this finish as it was just a try! Usually I stick to blo and CA.

As for the ca setting too fast! Wouldn't it cause the whole blank to turn white?

srf1114

DId you say your doing Mylands under the CA finnish? Could that be prevent the CA from adhering to the wood? Can you skip that step and test your results?

r-ice

I am going to go right now and sand off the CA, mylands. I will redo it right now and get some results back to see.

MarkD

You said your staring with thick CA and finishing with thin CA.
That's backwards from what I do. I start with a few coats of thin CA so that it can fill the pores the wood then I switch to medium CA to build up the finish. I suppose thick would work also. One other thing I have experienced is when I have too thick of a layer of CA and hit it with accelerator, the CA will turn cloudy.

Drstrangefart

I always do a few coats of thin, sand it as smooth as possible, a couple more coats of thin, then a few coats of medium. With both thick and medium, you have to wait 30-45 seconds before hitting it with the aerosol. A little longer for the thick. And hold the can a good 10 inches away. Those two things will help improve the finish. And you do encounter the odd blanl here and there that ALWAYS hazes like that no matter what you do.

r-ice

okay i got it, the problem was the chipping at the end and thus causing the CA layer to lift off the wood and causing a white bubble at the ends. I was playing with this and only put on approximately 3-4 layers. I think I need close to 8-10 layers then start sanding it down then perhaps buffing.

Drstrangefart

Also, lay some 600 grit on a dead flat surface and use it to sand rhe ends of your barrels to clean up excess CA. It prevents even more chipping when you press everything together.

arcwick08

I've had results like your pictures before. The culp for me is usually an oily/dirty blank. I've since started scrubbing down my blanks with DNA post-sanding, pre-CA. That has pretty much resolved the end-of-tube-dirty-sob-white-line issues :)

RMckin5324

I'm just starting to play with CA again, follow the Barry Gross system. The coating and Finish is amazing, but I'm having some cloudy spots and a few that seam to chip away....kinda when I press them together. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Top Bottom