White blush under ca finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baldwin60

I made this pen about a month ago with buff horn and a ca finish. 3 of thin with no accelerator and 15 of medium ca with accelerator, then micromeshed. In the last three days i have developed a white layer that appears to be between the ca and the surface of the horn.. it looks kind of like water spots on wood.. the pen had been in a pen cabinet with no change. took it on a trip.. didn't notice the discoloration till i got back. Is there a way for the air outside would or could act on this diff from room air with air conditioning. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

P1030886.jpg

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Most likely moisture from somewhere. I've had it happen when the wood I used was "waxed to prevent drying out" and showed up later, like you're seeing, as the trapped moisture tried to escape. Stop and mentally walk through the process you followed and consider where any moisture could have been introduced. I found that breathing on the CA to expedite the cure caused it too. You will get more, and better, advise I'm sure.
WB

vtwoballer

Do you know if the horn was properly seasoned, because that could be the problem?
Most likely moisture from somewhere. I've had it happen when the wood I used was "waxed to prevent drying out" and showed up later, like you're seeing, as the trapped moisture tried to escape. Stop and mentally walk through the process you followed and consider where any moisture could have been introduced. I found that breathing on the CA to expedite the cure caused it too. You will get more, and better, advise I'm sure.
WB

Top Bottom