What's the "going best" for stoppers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Finish that is... I would rather not do a CA finish as I am not a big fan of the Ca/BLO method and my method does not work well with coves and stuff. So, tell me.... what is working the best?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I make them mostly in acrylics but when I do use wood I spray about 7 to 10 coats of Deft Laquer about 20 to 30 minutes apart. Let cure in the water heater closet where I put in a shelf just for my turnings to cure. I'll let them cure in the closet for four days before sanding and polishing. That goes for pens too.

Skye

I had the spray laquer and being that I switched from CA, I wasn't really happy with it. I didnt try the curing idea though, so I may have to revisit that.

I've tried cellulose sanding sealer. It worked ok. I've found that, for me, stoppers with a lot of beads get a few light coats of thin CA.

LanceD

Guy's you don't have problems with the wine damaging the lacquer, do you?

No one has made me aware of it if it has damaged the laquer. But I have been made aware of the pitting that occurs on the base when I used to use the chrome stoppers. So I'm sure someone would have contacted me if the body was damaged by the wine.

ahoiberg

Lee, having used my stoppers a bunch with bottles of wine, I don't think wine has ever touched the top body of one... if i ever have to start using it for a second bottle of wine in a night, then bad things may happen.

PenWorks

About 3-4 coats for Waterlox oil is a good finish. Depending on your temp and drying conditions. I can put a coat on eash day for 4 days and get a nice finish, buffing is optional.

Rudy Vey

I never used anything else than the friction polish, Hut Crystal or I used stabilized blocks, without any finish. Remember, a wine stopper gets not much handling, not even close to what a pen will see. The friction polish on a pen is gone with days or weeks, but last long on a stopper

Firefyter-emt

You might be right there Rudy... I have a holder for ink sample vials that I use all the time and it has just a friction polish on it too. It is very glossy still and did not have much effort into the finish either. Something to keep in mind indeed~

Thanks guys... I need to have one finished for this weekend!

Top Bottom