What is TSW? Put over lacquer friction polish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

amheck

Hi gang,

I am a fairly new turner. I would like to be able to finish some pens to sell. In the mean time before I try to tackle the CA finish, I was thinking of trying the PSI lacquer-based friction polish. Right now I'm using Shellawax and want something more durable. I've searched and found that a number of users are using lacquer with good results, so I think I'm set there. But I've seen a few references to TSW - it's applied over the lacquer finish. What exactly is TSW?

Thanks!
Aaron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

Hi Aaron,
Welcome to the group. TSW is made by one of our members (Lou). Here is a link for you...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3177

BogBean

Aaron,
Here is another link for you to check out...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4255

melogic

Aaron,
This (TSW) is really good stuff. I am getting ready to place my second order of it. I went back and put it on the pens that I already had turned before I received my first batch and I have been using it on all of my new pens. The overall feel and looks of the pens are much much better than before TSW. You will not be disappointed.

amheck

Mark, just for kicks, I'll ask...what finish are you using first, before the TSW? Just curious.

Gary

Aaron, You might want to check out Renaissance Wax. It's an excellent product that has been used by woodturners for many years, and it is far less costly. Here's a link to one vendor that carries it:

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Craft_Supplies_USA_Pen_Kits5.htm

C_Ludwigsen

I've been using TSW for some time and recommend it. It can be used on the finished pen and on the metal parts as well - similar to how you would Ren Wax. You'll be hard-pressed to leave a fingerprint on the pen that is finished with TSW.

With any finish or polish, you may have to evaluate different products side-by-side and decide which are right for you and at a price acceptable to you.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by amheck
<br />Hi gang,

I am a fairly new turner. I would like to be able to finish some pens to sell. In the mean time before I try to tackle the CA finish, I was thinking of trying the PSI lacquer-based friction polish. Right now I'm using Shellawax and want something more durable. I've searched and found that a number of users are using lacquer with good results, so I think I'm set there. But I've seen a few references to TSW - it's applied over the lacquer finish. What exactly is TSW?

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron,

I use mostly the Enduro Poly finish as I could not seem to get friction polish to last very long at all for me. I have used both Ren Wax and TSW as a final finish over the Enduro. As to cost, both figure out to about the same, and as you use only a miniscule amount, any difference in cost is, IMHO, neglible. I prefer my pens and fingers to smell of coconut rather than petroleum distillate so I use TSW. Others mileage may vary. [:D]

Gary

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
<br />Hi gang,

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron,

I use mostly the Enduro Poly finish as I could not seem to get friction polish to last very long at all for me. I have used both Ren Wax and TSW as a final finish over the Enduro. As to cost, both figure out to about the same, and as you use only a miniscule amount, any difference in cost is, IMHO, neglible. I prefer my pens and fingers to smell of coconut rather than petroleum distillate so I use TSW. Others mileage may vary. [:D]

TSW @ Pens of Color: 1/2 oz. = $8.99

Renaissance Wax @ BB's: 1/2 oz. = $3.99

Both figure out to about the same?

JimGo

Aaron,
From a more technical perspective, its a high-purity carnauba wax with some other stuff thrown in for good measure. If you do a search Lou posted a hint as to its contents a few weeks back.

timdaleiden

This must be one of those weird things that happens sometimes. I was searching for information on Carnauba wax, and I ran across these sites. I thought maybe Lou had branched off into car waxes as well.

http://www.thecarwashtimes.com/catalog_topoftheline_trade_secret_carauba_wax.htm

http://www.topoftheline.com/toltradcarwa.html

JimGo

Tim,
Very interesting! Maybe Lou will weigh in soon! :)

BTW, if you're looking for info on car detailing, check out http://www.Autopia.org. Great site!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Gary
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
<br />Hi gang,

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron,

TSW @ Pens of Color: 1/2 oz. = $8.99

Renaissance Wax @ BB's: 1/2 oz. = $3.99

Both figure out to about the same?

Gary,

Here's an interesting link to follow. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3977&whichpage=1#34431 [:0]

What I meant is that since you use so little material the difference in cost is neglible. Forgive me if my opinions are inconsistent.

What

amheck

Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />So Aaron, did we answer your question about what TSW is?

Yep, I think I'm all set. I'm going to order some TSW today. When I was searching, I found a lot of mention of "TSW", I just couldn't find out exactly what it was. I had guessed it was some sort of wax, but didn't know for sure. But it does seem to be popular and I am really looking forward to getting some and trying it out.

thanks again group! And props to Lou - he's been most helpful.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom