What I Learned About CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Posting this because it may help someone else:

I was struggling with CA (which is an understatement). I thought I was applying the CA well, but going through the sanding/polishing process almost always resulted in disaster. I figure my application process was to blame. Maybe not applying enough, or not letting it dry correctly. I couldn't figure it out. Problem WAS the finishing. And now I know, like so many others already, WET sanding is a MUST.

I feel like I have it figured out now! Thanks to everyone that helped along the way! Sometimes you just have to wait for that light bulb to flip on. And flip on it did! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

many ways to skin this cat...

And now I know, like so many others already, WET sanding is a MUST.

It really isn't a "must" for all.... if it is for you, and it works, great!!

The only time I wet sand is when I need to create a slurry to fill the grain on some woods...

As so many others have said; Find a method that works for you... and it sounds like you have :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Zach,

We each have our own methods and we can't seem to get it to work any other way. Go for the way it works. And congratulations on getting it to work! :good: :biggrin: Some people haven't been able to do it with wet or dry sanding! :wink:

wb7whi

It kinda makes scense. You wet-sand acrylic blanks to polish them up and CA is nearly the same stuff. I have gone to buffing the CA with the white then carnuba. Really cleans up those dreded sanding rings and micro CA ripples.

glycerine

Posting this because it may help someone else:

I was struggling with CA (which is an understatement). I thought I was applying the CA well, but going through the sanding/polishing process almost always resulted in disaster. I figure my application process was to blame. Maybe not applying enough, or not letting it dry correctly. I couldn't figure it out. Problem WAS the finishing. And now I know, like so many others already, WET sanding is a MUST.

I feel like I have it figured out now! Thanks to everyone that helped along the way! Sometimes you just have to wait for that light bulb to flip on. And flip on it did! :biggrin:

There is also some plastic polishes out there that work like wet sanding. I prefer using that, it's similar to to a rubbing compound for automotive finishing I believe...

GouletPens

Be careful about using absolutes like that, you can easily be proven wrong. I can attest that wet sanding is not a MUST, though it is one method. I have never wet sanded a pen in my life. I'm going on 600 pens now with at least 150 of them CA, all of which I'd proudly put up against anyone elses. Hank hit the nail on the head....we all seem to find the process that works for us and can't seem to do any other.

There are many factors at play when working with a CA finish such as type of glue, type of wood, humidity in the air, temperature, age of the glue, storing conditions of the glue, thickness of CA used, type of applicator, application process, etc. etc. Basically just do everything you can to try to find a menthod that works for you and stick with it. I know I read up dozens of different ways to do it, and none of them worked for me. It wasn't until I understood the reasoning behind every step of the process and pulled one or two tips from everyone to compile my own unique method that I was able to find a consistent, repeatable process. Now, it's a pleasure doing the finish because it's relatively fast and repeatable with mind-blowing results nearly every time.

Jordan303

I dry sand to 600 then use the blo/ca finish. Usually works but sometimes it globs up in places. I think the mico mesh pads for acrylic would work great to clean up those marks. I'll try it today and get back to you.

Top Bottom