What is a good finisher for wood pens? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Smile What is a good finisher for wood pens?

Hooray, I did it. I finished my first pen and assembled it. Now I want to apply a good finish to it. I am confused with all the different types of finishing compounds. What is best to use?
Squeaky1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

best to do it before you assembled it ... I don't what to use after that
glenspens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 31

Well, it seems you may have gotten ahead of yourself. The finish is generally applied before assembly. Check the Library and go to the link for Penturning 101. There's lots of good information there. If you can disassemble your pen (sometimes not an easy task), do that and put it back on the lathe for finishing.

A lot of people use CA glue for a nice hard plastic finish. There are about a b-zillion things to try -- shellac, varnish, laquer, boiled linseed oil, and et cetera. Take your pick, but finishing usually goes much more easily if done on the lathe.
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your first pen. I am new to this hobby also. Most finishes that i have read about are put on before the pen is assembled. I found many good articles on finishing on the library tab on this site. Good luck!
Old newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Also, if you like video, look HERE

Under Finishing, near the bottom--two vids.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 219

I made a pen for a pen swap partner in Australia (BigShed) being new with turning capped pens, I put it together, then wanted to put some kind of finish on it. So, I taped off all the plated parts with 1/8th inch masking tape, and sprayed it with Deft Laquer. Thread was in the old forum, and my earliest post is Dec. '08 But, it made front page
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky1 View Post
Hooray, I did it. I finished my first pen and assembled it. Now I want to apply a good finish to it. I am confused with all the different types of finishing compounds. What is best to use?
You're kidding...right? Did you look at the finishing forum...Search...Library?
Come on dude(ette)...read.

Last edited by Jim Burr; 07-25-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Jim Burr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamino View Post
I made a pen for a pen swap partner in Australia (BigShed) being new with turning capped pens, I put it together, then wanted to put some kind of finish on it. So, I taped off all the plated parts with 1/8th inch masking tape, and sprayed it with Deft Laquer. Thread was in the old forum, and my earliest post is Dec. '08 But, it made front page
Chuck has a great and intelligent answer !! Carefully tape off the metal parts and use a spray finish. You don't want to have to sand down any finish and scratch the metal plateing. You can use laquer, poly, or acrylic in satin, semi gloss, or high gloss. Spray several lite coats to avoid runs. You could also use a past wax (auto) or buffing compounds and a buffing wheel if the blank is wooden. If your blank is acrylic or poly resin, use a one or two step plastic polish. Apply by hand or spray and buff with a soft cloth or wheel. I find a CA finish to work best for me on wood. Watch ED's videos on how to use that can be found on this site. For plastics, I use One-Step Plastic Polish. All is not lost !! Last resort, buy yourself a Pen Disassembly Punch Set (Harbor Freight) and take the pen apart, finish on the lathe, and reassemble. I would buy the punch set reguardless, believe me, you will be using it alot, I know I do even after mant years of pen making !! I know you are not the first person to find yourself in this situation, nor will you be the last !! Don't be intimidated or feel tentative about asking questions of people on this site. 99.9% will give you a straight, square, answer !! Jim S

Last edited by plantman; 07-26-2014 at 01:16 AM.
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jim, are we being a little callous? Ease up, he/she's a newbie. I'm thinking you were also at one time.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
Rockytime is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

There certainly are a lot of finishing options & there's no easy answer to your question because personal tastes are such a big factor.

My two favorite finishes are Myland's Friction Polish & Craft Coat. Sometimes though, I just wipe on some teak oil & give it a quick coating of carnauba wax.

I've tried several other methods but these are the ones I like best so far. There are many other methods that I haven't tried yet so who knows, maybe I'll find one I like better someday. My best recommendation is to try several and see what works best for you.be sure to watch the two videos that Ed referenced - they are very helpful. You can also buy the glossy Craft Coat product from Ed -- definitely worth a try!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads