What do you finish acrylic pens with? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Googly Moogly View Post
so what about the "worthless wood" pens? They are half PR and half wood...
I finish as wood, need to put something on the wood portion, wont hurt the rest
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Quote:
Most (effective) WW is alumilite, not PR. It can be done with PR, but not as well. CA is best for WW pens.

Write On,
Brian Goulet
The Goulet Pen Company
Ashland, Va.
www.GouletPens.com
GouletPens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Lately I have been turning wood pens, sanding with 220 grit paper and doing a CA slurry at that point. then sanding on to 600 then buffing it as well. no actual CA finish just a wood fill. still holding my breath as to how the shine will hold up over time. A quick check the other day left me with a mixed feeling about it but the light also was not that good.

Quote:

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Lately I have been turning wood pens, sanding with 220 grit paper and doing a CA slurry at that point. then sanding on to 600 then buffing it as well. no actual CA finish just a wood fill. still holding my breath as to how the shine will hold up over time. A quick check the other day left me with a mixed feeling about it but the light also was not that good.

Daniel, I have been following your testing and first must say that is the first time I read that a pen finished in CA has cracked by sitting there and on the backside. Do you attribute this to wood movement, hot or cold, sunlight, or just some other phenom??? Has this happened to anyone else??? How about a band, does it have a band around it???

Second question on this testing of the last set of pens, areyou using the pen or just letting it sit??? Using it will put it through a more rigorous test and tell you really if it will hold up. Thanks.

As far as acrylic I do as just about everyone else does and that is sand and polish. No need for another finish on top. I have to say though that over time acrylics will dull from use as will CA finished pens and then I just hit with Ren wax and buff by hand and good as new. You notice it more on clear acrylics like the computer pen. I happen to be using one as my go to pen and noticed it more so.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 01-02-2010 at 07:45 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 15

I dry sand from 150 to 600, then use wet micro pads from 800 to 12000, then one to three passes with PSI plastic polish. I finish with a pass of Eagle One Wipe and Shine Auto Detailer.

t.

Toby Younis

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum.
WildcatHollow is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Default finishing acrylic

i turn to the desired basic shape then i use like an 80 grit to shape it and stop the lathe and sand lengthwise to get out the rifling and then i continue with the usual 4 to five regular sand paper grits 150 to 400 or 600 then i use a micro polish called EEE from penstate industries or wood turners catalog , then i use the micro sanding pads from 1500 to 12000 and then i use a plastic polish of your choice i work at an auto parts store so i bought some rain x headlight restore because we discontinued it and its been working awesomely .when your done its flawless
ELCAMINO63 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hi CBBoo7, All i do is sand to 12000 with Micromesh, then polish with brasso, Simples!
Hope this helps Roger and out.
roger the pen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Normally I don't use CA on acrylic, but there is the occasional one that just won't mirror up. I hit it with Med CA, MM, polish (bam) - Done.

You will find that each "plastic" is different. What works for one blank won't work on the next. I'm a perfectionist. If I can find a scratch, it goes back to re-finishing. Sometimes I wander if I'm too picky. Maybe, but it's a reputation I'm trying to build. One pen at a time.

Just my $.02 - Good Luck..

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I wet sand to 1500 then buff with white diamond. Works all the time even on my CA jobs.
wade45 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hello, I'm not sure if this is where I ask this question but here goes !! If I want to put a decal on an acrylic blank, would the best way of covering it up for protection be the CA glue over it like a wood pen ? Thanks
delarosa is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads