What am I doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom1697

I have been using a CA finish for all of my wooden blanks. I usually start with several coats of thin and then finish up with medium. I like to use micro mesh to bring out the shine. I started to get clouding when ever I use any type of water with the micro mesh. I thought my CA was getting old, so I bought new CA. Same problem. Someone I know suggested using a drop of BLO then CA and rotate between the two until I get the shine I wanted, still got clouding. I read a post on this sir that suggested using a spray bottle with the micro mesh using very little water, still clouding. I can us the CA and then some super fine steel wool and it looks ok, but the shine isn't what you would want. The CA really looks good when it works. I just turned a piece of buck eye burl that had been stabilized and double dyed. It looked really good through the thin CA coats and really good through the medium CA coats. Then I started with the micro mesh and lightly spayed water on the blank, got about half way through the micro mesh disks and it started, cloudy again. There has to be something I am missing. HELP!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Hi Tom,
I never use any water with my CA finishes. If you want to use water you might want to seal the ends by the brass tubes with some CA first as this will keep the water from getting between the blank and the Ca finish. This is just my opinion hopefully some others will chime in.

sbwertz

Instead of micromesh, you can use a pen polish. I've been using the StickFast CA Finishing Kit at the center, and the polish that comes with the kit does a great job. Otherwise I go through the micromesh after applying the finish. You can buy bottles of the polish at Rockler.

CREID

From what you have said (pictures would be better) it sounds like you sanded right through the CA.

tomas

I use all medium CA...16 coats. I store my MM in a container of water. I have never had the problem you describe.

Tomas

keithbyrd

Try lightly sanding the blank - if it is not caused by sanding through the CA you might be able to sand it off. I have done that a few times successfully. Not sure what causes the clouding but I had 3-4 pens do that in the past 4-5 months. Lightly sanded - 400 grit, 600 grit then MM - first two pads only, then polish. Each time I successfully removed the clouding.

Top Bottom