wetsanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I am new to wet sanding and was just curious, do people wet sand wood? and what about deer antler and such?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am new to wet sanding and was just curious, do people wet sand wood? and what about deer antler and such?

Some people do, but sometimes it creates problems if the moisture does not fully dry out before finish is applied. Some wet sand the finish without a problem - when sanding it down to the shine after the last coat.

KenV

I sometimes wet sand with oil on some woods that tend to be oily, especially if I am headed to either a oil or a shellac and lacquer top coat. When I do that I do not use boiled linseed oil, but rather a heat polymerized linseed oil. Some rosewoods and ebony just get oil/wet sanding and buffing/wax - Depends on the intensity of use expected.

RAdams

Banned
Cool. That's kinda what i thought. Years ago, i watched a Luthier(sp) make a violin. He used a finish that was some sort of oil, and DNA. with each coat, the mix had less and less oil, and more and more alcohol. when he was finished applying the finish, he wet sanded the insturment before buffing it.

I wonder what would happen if you wet sanded a CA finish with MM. I am guessing that it would make it shine like crazy as long as you didnt sand thru the CA. Man, gotta love those initials! DNA, CA, BLO, MM.

pianomanpj

Cool. That's kinda what i thought. Years ago, i watched a Luthier(sp) make a violin. He used a finish that was some sort of oil, and DNA. with each coat, the mix had less and less oil, and more and more alcohol. when he was finished applying the finish, he wet sanded the insturment before buffing it.

I wonder what would happen if you wet sanded a CA finish with MM. I am guessing that it would make it shine like crazy as long as you didnt sand thru the CA. Man, gotta love those initials! DNA, CA, BLO, MM.

No need to wonder: wet sanding a CA finish brings out an incredible shine! And you're right in that you have to be careful of sanding through it. If you do, you need to remove the entire finish and start over. You just can't patch the afflicted area and not have it look horrible. If you don't believe me, spend a few hours for yourself. :biggrin: DAMHIKT :mad::biggrin::rolleyes:

george

No need to wonder: wet sanding a CA finish brings out an incredible shine! And you're right in that you have to be careful of sanding through it. If you do, you need to remove the entire finish and start over. You just can't patch the afflicted area and not have it look horrible. If you don't believe me, spend a few hours for yourself. :biggrin: DAMHIKT :mad::biggrin::rolleyes:

Yeap ... exactly like that. I used to wet send everything, but oftenly sand threw the CA just at the end. GRHHH.
That is why I now sand dry, doe I was more pleased with wet outcome.

RAdams

Banned
I never wetsanded either until i went to the local chapter meeting and watched the host wet sand a homebrew PR blank and the outcome was amazing. i was hooked instantly.

Top Bottom