Wetsand with GF Woodturner's Finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Razorburne

Has anyone ever wetsanded with General Finishes Woodturners Finish, a la Doctors Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil? Any reason this wouldn't work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I don't think that it would work very well because of it being a finish. The Dr.'s has shellac in it and the General Finish is meant as a final finish. I think that it would gum up your sand paper quickly. Why not wet sand with water or mineral oil if it is wood?

Razorburne

Yeah. You are probably right. Didn't actually plan on doing it - it was more just floating an idea for discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

stuckinohio

I think the Dr. recommends sanding with Pens Plus if you need to fill voids or some grain. I have done it and it works well. Sanded at high speed with 400, 600 and 800 grit abranet. Then I finished with normal pens plus applications.

epigolucky

I wetsand with pens plus before applying the final finishing coats of PP.

I dry sand with the lower grits (only if necessary), and use PP to wet sand with 400 and 600 grit. It does gum up the sand paper (thank you bulk rolls) but i'm pleased with the results.

I follow up with standard application of PP - speed and heat.

nativewooder

I learned from a man who grew up sanding his grandfather's custom-made Mahogany.:eek: He was taught to do all his finish sanding with the best sandpaper he could get and use mineral spirits to float the debris off the wood. Never finish sand while dry. Today we have much better and finer sandpaper available and mineral spirits or paint thinner does the job.:biggrin: You don't even have to use lacquer if you prefer a softer glow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom