Wet sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Why do it?: acrylic finish is greatly enhanced by wet sanding. Imagine a body shop sanding a finish on the car. Less friction, COOLER temps.

When?: I wet sand all acrylic, pr, micapearls etc. IF my CA is thick enough, I will use it then..

How?: I use a spray bottle, some use a tub of water to dip MM in. Be sure to cover you lathe ways.

Hope this clears the muddy waters.

JimMc7

What Tim said, plus I wet sand acrylics at the coarser grits, too. Keeps the dust down. I keep a glass of water next to the lathe to dip the paper (and the paper towel to wipe down between grits).

TomW

Question,
Wet sanding, why do it and how do you do it.

Wet sanding allows me to be up close and personal with the blank (right on the other side of the sandpaper). For me, when I dry sand, tend to use a strip of paper and hold away from the blank, so as to not burn fingers. While wet sanding you can feel what is going on better. I use a small dropper type bottle and apply drops of water while sanding. This way you can control the slurry, and don't loose anything removing the paper, dunking it in water, etc.

Tom

randyrls

Yes; for all Acrylics and such, my technique is to start sanding with wet/dry paper 320 grit, 400, 600, 1000, 2000 then MM

Turn on lathe about 1000 RPM and sand with wet sandpaper.
Turn off lathe and sand lengthwise.
Wipe the slurry off the sandpaper
Wipe blank with wet paper towel.
Repeat for next grit.

PS. Only takes about 30 seconds per grit.

Bree

If you dip your paper in a tub with water don't you risk getting some of the grit from the prior sanding on your higher grit paper thereby creating scratches that won't be sanded out?? I was thinking about that when I was wet sanding an acrylic that I did. So I changed the water in the tub after each grit. That is a lot of work. I like the spray bottle better.
:confused::confused::confused:

jleiwig

If you dip your paper in a tub with water don't you risk getting some of the grit from the prior sanding on your higher grit paper thereby creating scratches that won't be sanded out?? I was thinking about that when I was wet sanding an acrylic that I did. So I changed the water in the tub after each grit. That is a lot of work. I like the spray bottle better.
:confused::confused::confused:

No, the grit should settle to the bottom of the container. A spray bottle is better though. They are only $1 at the stores.

JimMc7

No, the grit should settle to the bottom of the container. A spray bottle is better though. They are only $1 at the stores.

+1 re any grit settling. Also, I don't put used abrasive back in the water. I wet a paper towel once to use for all grits. I dip a clean abrasive, sand, wipe with a clean spot on the wet paper towel and repeat through 1200g. One more wipe and finish with Novus #3 & #2.

Top Bottom