Wax On

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

I have some beeswax to work with and I was thinking of melting some of it down and adding a bit of oil to it. Kind of a one step finish. I am thinking of useing boiled linseed oil.
Question: will the wax set up to maybe a paste like consistancy or will it set up at all?
I know there are those out there who have already done something like this and would like to tap your expertise.

Thanks

Wayne, Spokane WA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

I have to ask , Why??? . As a finish beeswax is verrrry soft and would wear off in a very short time leaving your wood unprotected . If your looking for a finish for your pens I would suggest that you learn how to do a CA or one of the other finishes like Poly or lacquer finishes that will hold up to all the abuse a pen has to endure .
The beeswax would be a great final coating after you apply a real finish .

leehljp

Member Liaison
I tried something similar 5 or 6 years ago, mixing 1/3 Tung Oil, 1/3 poly and 1/3 BLO, THEN mixing in about a cup of wax, heating it slowly on an electric burner till the wax was melted.

It made a good finish, and I was not doing pens back then, so I don't know how it would do on a pen. It dried overnight but took a week to cure. When it did, it was hard. I have no clue as to how this would work on a pen. I also am sure that the varying amounts of wax to BLO will change the cure rate and protection considerably. AS to protection, That would be a great experiment.

wb7whi

Actually I was not thinking of it as a pen finish as I prefer CA there, sorry about that. Thinking other small items like bottle stoppers and boxes.

bradh

Wax and a thinner are the ingredients used in many turning finishes. Wax and alcohol are what make shellac. Some friction finishes are made of wax and oil. If you search the net you can find recipes for homemade friction finishes or friction polishes, some of which use beeswax.
Wax finishes will work on a pen, but they quickly dull and then change color with the oils from our skin. Some people prefer these finishes to the glossy CA type finish.

jking

It sounds like you're looking to make a Maloof style finish. It's basically what Hank described; it's a wax/poly/oil blend, except it sounds like you were planning to leave out the poly. Do a search on "Maloof finish" and you should find some recipes. I believe Woodcraft & Rockler both are carrying this finish premade. It should be fine for boxes & bowls.

If you already have the BLO, try it & see how it works. Tung oil is what normally is used for the wax/poly/oil blend.

VisExp

Wax and alcohol are what make shellac.

That's not quite correct. From the fountain of knowledge Wikipedia:

"Shellac is an all-natural resin secreted by the female lac bug to form a cocoon, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand.[1]. It is processed and sold as dry flakes (pictured at right), which are dissolved in denatured alcohol to make liquid shellac."

I think what you meant was that wax and shellac form the basis of some friction polishes.

wb7whi

Thanks guys.

I asked Russ Fairfield about it and it appears that I had my proportions backwards. Too much wax and too little oil.
Will be playing with it somemore.

Wayne
Spokane, Wa

Top Bottom