wavy finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

A couple of the pens I did this weekend had a wavy look to the finish. I used 3 coats of Mylands Friction Polish. It looked almost like the cloth had grabbed and "pulled" the finish. Am I holding it on the piece too long...... or putting the coats on too quick? Or what? HELP!!!.....lol

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

You are most likely putting too much finish on at a time. Just put a drop on your cloth and cover one barrel with it. Let the friction build up until you can barely stand the heat. Let it dry and repeat until you get the desired number of coats. When I use friction polish, I put on at least three coats. Just use the polish sparingly to prevent the wavy look.

mick

Thanks Jim , I kinda felt thats what had happened.....I am a bad one to think if a little is good .......a lot is better .......I need to get over that in this case!......lol

jdavis

Too much finish at one time. You have to build up the coats to the desired finish you are after. I fight this problem daily with my students. They want to hurry their finish. Cann't do that and have a great finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom