Vacume Pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Hello folks.
I am well aware of all the conversation and descoveries concerning home brews for stabalizing.
What I am not sure about is has it all been put together in an instruction type form? the various methods tried etc.
I came a cross a large labratory vacume pump recently. can't tell you if it works or what sort af vacume it will draw. I suspect a pretty high one though. I also have a huge amount of Buckeye Burl i would like to get done. so it is now time to get all the stuff in my head about stabalizing that I will need.
thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I did see a couple of articles about creating vacuum chambers for stabilizing blanks but don't remember what threads they were in. You might try the search engine on this site. I've got a hand-held brake bleeding pump I'm going to pull the vacuum with if I ever finish the *#$%@ pickles!

tipusnr

My wife's not fond of them and my daughter doesn't come back from Wisconsin until next week. Spending too much time on woodturning club newsletter for new projects anyway. So - everything works out sometime.

Daniel,

How's the information search coming?

jkirkb94

Bill, I was in the same pickle with the pickles.[:D] I too use the automotive hand pump. As far as the pickles....do like I did...find another container before you get all pickled out! Kirk[:D][8D]

Daniel

Bill,
it's coming in bits and snatches. as all the best things around here do.
takes the enjoyment out of it if it all comes at one time.
as for the pickels. I could do in a couple gals. of them. I like pickles like children like chocolate. I like most anything pickled, well I draw the line a pigs feet.

btboone

A refrigerator compressor will pull a very high vacuum (less than 1mm mercury). They can be bought from used appliance dealers in the $15 range. I used to make lasers with them, and they pulled a high enough vacuum for that.

pen-turners

All,
If you are not in a hurry, I have had really good luck with the mixture I use of plexiglas/acetone. You have to let it soak for a couple weeks but if you make up a large batch it is well worth it. I just turned a couple of the pens the other night. I added red dye in with the mixture to see whether it was getting to the center of the blank. I used some spalted buckeye burl which was very punky. I put it in the mixture without pre-drilling. While drilling, I could see the shavings coming out red so I knew the dye and stabilization mixture had penetrated all the way to the core. I turned 2 polaris pens out of these blanks and they both drilled, turned and finished nicely.

Chris

M

Mudder

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I did see a couple of articles about creating vacuum chambers for stabilizing blanks but don't remember what threads they were in. You might try the search engine on this site. I've got a hand-held brake bleeding pump I'm going to pull the vacuum with if I ever finish the *#$%@ pickles!

Here is a good one from this site.

http://www.penturners.org/content/polyurethane1.pdf

So far I have only used poly and minwax wood hardener but I'm thinking od trying the acetone/plexiglass method when I get some shop time to experiment. I think If I thin the mixture with mere acetone it would worl well.

Fred in NC

Mudder, I am going to experiment with the plexiglass too. This and all my other projects will have to wait until next year.

I have some colored plexiglass pieces, so I am going to add some of this to color mine. I think it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom