UV Protection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to provide UV protection prior to applying a CA finish. I'd like to find a way to keep woods like Osage orange, mulberry and purple heart from changing color over time.

thanks for any input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

That's tricky. I spent some time trying, but no luck. I found out most UV protection finishes block the UV with solids, which does not work well when you are trying to show off what is under the finish.
I also tried using Armour-all which claims good UV protection. It is loaded with Silicon type chemicals and it is tough to get any finish to stick to it.
Good Luck.

woodgraver

I think Penofin Oil would be the answer to your problem. www.penofin.com

I have used the Marine Penofin Oil on purple heart furniture I have made and then covered it with a laquer finish, so I expect you could also put a CA finish over the top. It has a 99% UV inhibitor. The only thing I'll say is that it does darken the wood, but in the case of purple heart, it looks really rich and has maintained its color for 5 years with no fading.

woodgraver

If you can't get some in a small quantity locally to try it, let me know. I have a gallon of it and could make you up a little bottle and send it to you, no charge ;)

Jim

Top Bottom