Turners Magic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Any comments on Turners Magic - a laquer finish polish. I was wondering if other turners use this for pens. How does it hold up, etc. It is advertised as 'friction' polish. Thanks for any comments. I always like to get the opinions on this site prior to trying someting new.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

It holds up better than shellac based friction polishes but it still is nowhere near the durability of CA, enduro, poly, plexi, or lacquer.

Borg_B_Borg

Turner's Magic holds up really well considering what it is. I have been carrying a black walnut cigar pen finished with Turner's Magic for the last two years and the sheen hasn't noticeably diminished. My guess is a properly finished Turner's Magic finish will last through at least 3 years of daily use. It's important that you follow the directions and use the shellac sealer to fill in the pores before using the lacquer to achieve a high sheen.

For comparison, if the pen were finished with Hut Crystal Coat or other shellac/wax friction finish, the gloss or sheen would have lasted less than 1/2 a year.

Keep in mind that the best that Turner's Magic can achieve is a high sheen. Woodwrite's use of the "Super Gloss" label is highly misleading. It can never reach a shiny gloss the way Crystal Coat can. Still it will maintain that high sheen for a long time, whereas Crystal Coat will lose not only the initial high gloss, but also the high sheen in a matter of a few months.

I have not experience with Mylands.

Steve

Turner's Magic

I have had excellent results with the Turner's Magic. I've been using it about a year so I can't comment on the durability of it any farther than that. I get a super high gloss with all my pens if I use multiple coats at each step. I sand thru 600 on most of my woods and then put 6 coats of the sealer, 4 coats of the semi-gloss and 2 coats of the ultra gloss. My finish is as glossy and deep as any of my CA finishes. On the woods that are course grain I will MM to 12000 and that usually smooths them out, occasionally I will have to fill the grain with thin CA (in that case I usually finish it out with CA). Every now and then I get the circles in the finish that look like I haven't sanded cross grain enough in the initial sanding process (that is not the case, I eliminate all the circles in my initial sanding), I have found that the use of 0000 steel wool between steps will eliminate these. I check for this with a magnifying glass between steps (these old tired eyes).:good:

Rangertrek

Comments Appreciated

I appreciate all the comments to my original inquiry. As always, the forum has good information. I will probably give this product a try and see how it works for me.

Thanks again.:)

jkeithrussell

Mine just came in the mail today. I can't wait to get home from work and give it a whirl. I'm sick to death of fighting the CA finishing process. I'm going to take it nice and slow, but hope to have some photos up soon of the Turner's Magic finish.

Rangertrek

TM

Since I originally asked this question, I have used TM on numerous pens and am very happy with the finish. I apply 3-4 coats of the sealer and then 4-6 coats of the gloss. I have a shine that looks good, it finishes quick and my customers like the feel of the finish better than CA. Of course, some like the CA better.
Anyway, I will be using this product on most of my pens. It is an acceptabel alternative to CA.

Top Bottom