Tung Oil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

One finish that I haven't seen discussed (or at least discussed lately) is Tung Oil. I have used it on other turnings so I decided to try it on some pens. I put on one coat by hand, buffed some on the lathe, put on another coat, buffed a little more, finally a third coat and buffed by hand. I tried it on several different woods and all look good except cocobolo, and it will never dry on wood that oily. It really has a nice shine on my other pieces with very little trouble compared to some other methods. My only concern is durability. I figured I would use ,one of these at work for a while and see how it holds up. I used to use friction polish, looks good for a little bit but absolutely no durability. Any thought on using Tung Oil?

Ray

C_Ludwigsen

Well it should prove somewhat water resistant if nothing else [:p].

Honestly, I would watch it for several days and check it for "sweating". I've used Russ Fairfields tips for Tung Oil before on bowls and was pleased. That involves cutting the first few coats with solvent to speed drying time.

Let us know how they hold up after a few days or weeks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tung oil is one of the two major components of Hut Crystal Coat, along with shellac. This stuff will shine up a storm, but does not have a great deal of durability. If I were you, I would either a) finish with Renaissance wax to add some durability, b) add a couple of coats of carnauba (even though it too will wear, at least it hardens, or c) see what happens with the test of my TSW-1121. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom