TSW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I guess I'm as close to an expert as we have on the site, so here goes. TSW is meant to be wiped on, wait 45 seconds (or a little longer), then wipe the excess off. It can be hand or power buffed right away. You can buff it to a simple satin finish or stay with it a few more seconds and take it to a high gloss. Make sure however you buff it that the material is clean.

Also, for those who haven't tried it, you can use it to build coats by allowing an hour or two between coats. If you build several coats, wait overnight (at least) before assembling your pen. It does need to cure and the more coats you put on the longer the cure takes. FYI, White diamond will simply take it off.

And Tom, POC should have their re-supply by about Wendesday. Thanks for your patience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

Tom,
Thanks for the advice. I have been applying TSW after buffing with White Diamond and have been very pleased with the results, I just wanted to make sure it was ok to power buff. Now I'll have to try a second coat and see the difference!! Thanks again for creating this great product!!

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I can attest to that Lou. My "shop" is outside and unheated (except for the space heater I occasionally use), and I used to keep my TSW out there. It's been through some pretty hot days over the summer, and several nights in the single digits this winter, yet it still works great.

I have the same situation. My TSW sits in my shop all the time. Not as cold in Oak Ridge, NC as in Canada but we have had temperatures below 20°F a few days this winter and quite a few below 30°F. I have seen no deterioration of the product at all.

rlh

After reading all of the posts it sounds to me like you people apply TSW over your finish coat immediately after applying the finish coat. I think I remember reading a post a while back stating that the TSW damaged the finish coat because it was applied before it had cured but I cannot put my finger on that post. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you are putting TSW over another finish, be sure the other finish has cured. There is a mild, non-petroleum based softener in TSW which could interfere with the curing of the original finish. Depending on which finish you use, you should wait between overnight (for CA) and a few days (for lacquer or Enduro). Essentially, if your pen is ready to assemble, it's ready for TSW.

oldflyer2

Another technical question ...

Will TSW put any kind of protective coating on Bronze or Aluminum. I want to make some custom fittings from metal and I am looking for something (other than powder coating)to protect them with.

I am mainly looking at center bands for now and I don't think they get as much wear and tear as a pen barrel.

Thanks

Tom

exoticwo

Can someone please explain the difference between TSW and Renaissance Wax. Seems to me that they both do the same thing, protect the wood finish. I have been using EEE and Shellawax which seems to put quite a good finish on my pens.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by exoticwo
<br />Can someone please explain the difference between TSW and Renaissance Wax. Seems to me that they both do the same thing, protect the wood finish. I have been using EEE and Shellawax which seems to put quite a good finish on my pens.

Al,first off, the following is my opinion only, and totally worth what you pay for it.

Like many of us, I started off with EEE and Shellawax. It looks acceptable when finished, but the finish wears off rapidly, leaving, on my pens at least, a dull look that I did not care for. I have used CA/BLO, CA alone, Enduro, and Deft for finishes. My personal preference is for Enduro most of the time, and Deft when I feel like it. [:D]

As for the difference between Ren Wax and TSW, I am really not an expert. I have used both, and had good results with both. The decision for me was that I preferred smelling the coconut smell of TSW over the oil smell of Ren Wax. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a professional opinion/explanation, but that is mine.

FWIW,

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Al, from one perspective, you are right. Both products are meant to protect your finish. A number of members her and on other forums use TSW as a finish, particularly on oily woods like lignum vitae, cocobolo, olivewood, etc. TSW is based on a formula of poly resin and carnauba wax. Renaissance Was is a microcrystalline wax and, thus, based on petroleum. Another thing about TSW is I make it, I test it, I sell to my small number of distributors and I guarantee it. If you don't like it, most of my distributors will refund the purchase price. For any who don't, I will refund the purchase price.

BigRob777

I just love TSW. It even has a pleasant fragrance. I have even used it in a pinch, to lube the threads on my stopper mandrel. It only takes a minute amount, so it lasts a long time too. Of course, I'm biased, now that I will be carrying it in my line-up, but I wanted it because it is great stuff. Lou has really made a great contribution to the penturning world. I can't say how long it lasts, as my pens go too quickly.[:D]
Rob

huntersilver

Hi DC, I use a friction polish, several coats, then RenWax. A lot of the other finishes require too much added labor or harmful fumes for me. Of course the trade off is the finish does not last as long. Will the TSW enhance the durability of a friction polish?

rglinks

question for DCBluesman

Does applying more that one coat of TSW enhance the durability ?

Is there a curing time before you can touch the product ?

Thanks Ahead of Time

Ron

wayneis

Nothing in my opinion wuill make friction polish last any longer than what you already get. If you want a finish that has no toxic smells then give Enduro a try, you can even now try it in small 2oz. bottles from Ernie at Beartooth Hardwoods. Enduro is a water base polyurathane that is a commercial product and its made for bar and table tops. Most people who have tried it really like it even though it takes a little more time than some finishes to apply.

Wayne

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Hi DC, I use a friction polish, several coats, then RenWax. A lot of the other finishes require too much added labor or harmful fumes for me. Of course the trade off is the finish does not last as long. Will the TSW enhance the durability of a friction polish?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A quick response to the last three posts. First, TSW over friction polish will definitely give it more durability...not the durability of CA, lacquer or Enduro, but more than shellac-based friction polish. I'll try to get an updated photo of my first pen so you can see the durability later this evening. As for more than one coat. I do it all the time. It's definitely a build-capable product. Keep in mind that is does have a softener in it, so you should give it a couple of hours, better yet overnight, between coats (or at least between every two coats). As for when can you touch it, it is dry enough for light handling immediately after buffing - 1 minute after application. It will be 90% cured overnight and can then be assembled without fear of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom