TSW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rglinks

Has anybody seen the lasting wear of TSW(Trade Secret for Wood)?

I have been experimenting with all kind of finishes from Mylands to CA and even home brews and so far nothing seem to last.

They all look good when first done but seem to last only about a week with constant use

Help !!!!!!!!!! Need to find something that last....

Ron..

JimGo

TSW is a wax, and is applied over your other finish. It wears off fairly quickly, and is really meant more as a top coat to make everything shine (which it does well). I love it as the "cherry" on top of my finishes.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Funny that you should say it wears off quickly, Jim. Everyone else I talk to about it says the opposite. In fact, I've got pens in regular use for a year and a half and all it ever takes is a quick hand buff with a cloth to bring the shine back up. Also, it is far from just "a wax". Maybe Mudder or it's_virgil or woodpens will chime in, since they've all been using it almost exclusively for over a year.

Gary Max

Heck it goes on every pen I make. I think it holds up just fine.
I have never touched up any of my pens--they still have a nice shine on them. Even my everyday writers.
I think I used 4 bottles of TSW last year.

JimGo

I stand corrected! Sorry Lou! I've only been using it regularly for a few months, and don't get to really polish up the pens on which it's been used since they went to others. I'll have to steal one of my co-workers' pens to see if I can bring back the shine that easily. If so, I'll be thrilled (as will they)!

woodpens

As Lou said, I have been using the heck out of it. I find it very troublesome though. Once I started using it, I no longer like any of my pens without it! [:D] I use CA on pretty much all of my pens now. My last step of the finishing process is to wipe a coat of TSW and let it stand for a minute. Then, I buff it off with a soft rag while the lathe is running. The finish is slick and very shiney. It even smells good! This step also allows me to handle the barrels for pen assembly more quickly than when I wasn't using it. If you buy it through me, you can return it for a full refund if you aren't happy with it as I will certainly use the rest of it.

rglinks

Ron again,

Thanks for all the info. Here's another one ..... Anybody try Turner's Magic Super Gloss from WoodWrite Ltd.

Check This out http://www.woodwriteltd.com

Gary.... How many coats do you apply of TSW

Ron....

wayneis

I use a coat of TSW on every pen after I finish with Enduro. My only complaint (and its not really a complaint) is that the finish is so slippery that I have to be carefull that I don't let the blanks squirt away from me after I first buff them. I also use it on all of my plastics, acrylics and lucites, hell I use it on everything. TSW really puts a slick shine on the blanks, its the only finish coat that I use anymore.

Wayne

I also use TSW as the final step in finishing. Something about it just feels right. I finish my pens with water base lacquer, run them through the final grits of micromesh and then put a finger on my TSW wipe it on the spinning pen body. Let it sit for 30-45 seconds, spinning and then hold a clean paper towel against the spinning blank. It sure makes the final work sparkle.

Wouldn't be with out my TSW!

its_virgil

I'll chime in. I've been using TSW for over a year consistently (and longer sporadically I'm sorry to say) and the one thing I like most about TSW is its build up quality. I personally think that it makes the pens look so nice because it gets into those micro scratches left by sanding and builds up the scratches to meet the surface of the rest of the pen. I like to get the pen surface VERY WARM on the last MM pad and immediately apply TSW. The heat causes the TSW to "melt" just a little and better get into those micro scratches. After drying to a haze I buff with a soft cloth. My CA/BLO finish has never looked better. (These are just my thoughts on the heat.) I really see a big difference in the finish after using TSW. And as Lou mentioned, a quick buff on those everayday writers brings the pen back to original shine. Thanks Lou for a great product.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Funny that you should say it wears off quickly, Jim. Everyone else I talk to about it says the opposite. In fact, I've got pens in regular use for a year and a half and all it ever takes is a quick hand buff with a cloth to bring the shine back up. Also, it is far from just "a wax". Maybe Mudder or it's_virgil or woodpens will chime in, since they've all been using it almost exclusively for over a year.

Gary Max

Ron I only apply one coat --- just like the rest of the folks-- at a low RPM ---let sit for a minute--wipe off with a clean soft rag. Sometimes at a show I will sit and clean my pens with TSW--- gets the finger prints off---plus folks want to see what I got that I take such good care of.

JimGo

Thanks for the suggestion, Don (and Lou!). I never really thought about just buffing the pen once the finish had lost its gloss; I just assumed I had to re-apply the TSW. This is why I like coming here!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I use a coat of TSW on every pen after I finish with Enduro. My only complaint (and its not really a complaint) is that the finish is so slippery that I have to be carefull that I don't let the blanks squirt away from me after I first buff them. I also use it on all of my plastics, acrylics and lucites, hell I use it on everything. TSW really puts a slick shine on the blanks, its the only finish coat that I use anymore.

Wayne

Ditto! [8D]

Dario

Oh great...another good product that I just have to try [:D]. To date, I've been using RenWax exclusively.

Thank you all...LOML actually told me to order some after reading your comments [8D]

alamocdc

Dario, you won't be disappointed! I too went with Ren Wax first. Still have two cans in fact and I still use it on some pens... just depends on the material and my mood. I was even using TSW over the Ren Wax at first, but was told that was unnecessary. However, I use TSW on ALL of my wood pens now. Fantastic stuff! Thanks, Lou!

its_virgil

I purchased RenWax, used it on a few pens and the rest has dried out. I didn't like the oily feel of RenWax. What is dried out RenWax good for?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Oh great...another good product that I just have to try [:D]. To date, I've been using RenWax exclusively.

Thank you all...LOML actually told me to order some after reading your comments [8D]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looks like someone will be getting a lot of orders for TSW. I ordered some also after reading this post earlier today.

JimGo

http://www.pocwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=452

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Finishing_Supplies_&_Tools.htm

http://www.woodpens.com/tsw.htm

There may be some other places too...hopefully others will chime in.

woodpens

Originally posted by Monty
<br />Looks like someone will be getting a lot of orders for TSW. I ordered some also after reading this post earlier today.
You were right! [:D]
Although I sell TSW, I really do use more than I sell. I love the stuff.

lkorn

Originally posted by rglinks
<br />Ron again,

Thanks for all the info. Here's another one ..... Anybody try Turner's Magic Super Gloss from WoodWrite Ltd.

Check This out http://www.woodwriteltd.com

Gary.... How many coats do you apply of TSW

Ron....

Turners Magic is probably the finiest commercially amde friction polish out there. Primarily because it is LACQUER Based, vice Shellac. Shellac wears quickly, lacquer lasts. However it really is not pertinent to the current discussion of TSW which is polishing wax, the last step before assembling and selling your pen.

L32

Just got my first can of TSW from Jim, All I can say is WOW[:p][:p] that is good stuff. It really made a big diffrence in my finishes.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to those of you who have said such nice things about TSW. Those who have been on the forum awhile know much of the history, but for those of you who are new to the site, I thought a little background might be helpful.

TSW was developed nearly two years ago by a me and a friend (in his spare time) who is a chemist for duPont. I wanted something special for my pens...something which would add a significant layer of protection over virtually any finish. I also wanted something that could be buffed to deliver anything from a satin to a high gloss finish. The product we came up with combines a long chain polymer (think of our polyester resin for a comparison), pure, white carnauba wax, a non-hazardous softening agent, cocoanut oil, essence of a specific tropical plant, and a UV inhibitor. Although many folks have asked for the details of what is in TSW and in what proportions, we keep that a trade secret since the cost of obtaining and defending a patent is not practical for a little product like this.

After trying it for a few months, I had about 20 volunteers from this site test the product and deliver feedback right here on the forum. TSW has been tested and performed and continues to perform well over many different shellac based friction finishes, many lacquer based friction finishes, many solvent based lacquers, many water borne lacquers, CA finish, Enduro, tung oil, polyurethane, synthetic resins (acetates, polyesters and the like) and even over raw wood itself. The response from the outset has been nothing short of amazing.

In the first few months of selling TSW, several vendors contacted me about distributing it. They each tested the product themselves. In one case the test lasted three months while the owner and a couple of his employees used and abused the finish (right, Bill? [8D]). These three signed up and remain my only distributors (I really don't like the world of big business, so I'm picky about who I select as distributors.)

In the past 8 months or so I have had several problems with my supply of pure, white carnauba. A shipment was hijacked, literally. Four of my supplier's trees were cut down and removed from his property by bandits. Still, he and I continue to work together to do what we can to keep the supply flowing.

Due in no small part to this and similar threads, two of my three suppliers are out of stock and the third has very limited supply on hand. This condition is temporary as I just got word that my supplies have reached port and I should be able to make more within about a week. I use Priority Mail for my suppliers, so they should have product in hand in two weeks or less. Thanks for your patience!

Several large, well-known business have asked to distribute the product over the past year, but so far I'm doing just fine with these good folks. I think I'll just keep these three for the forseeable future.

Sheila: Pens of Color (www.pocwoodworking.com) My first distributor and <u>one of the sweetest ladies you will run into in our hobby</u>.

Jim: Woodpens.com (www.woodpens.com) A first rate pen turner who also sells some wonderful denim shirts with the IAP logo on them. <u>Jim's a long-time friend</u>.

Bill: Arizona Silhouette (www.arizonasilhouette.com) Bill runs one of the best independent internet pen-turning (and other turnings) supply shops on the internet. <u>Bill (and his wonderful wife Kathy) are great and close personal friends</u>.

I've had the pleasure of knowing each of these folks for at least a year...probably longer. They are good people to do business with. The only financial relationship I have with any of their businesses is that I supply TSW to them. So while there is a small, admitted bias, I strongly recommend each of them.

If anyone has questions about TSW that you feel are not appropriate for the forum, please feel free to contact me via the email function. I promise a response!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I sent some to eastern BC last winter. I know it sat in the recipient's car for several days. According to him, it still worked great. There's nothing in it that should be negatively impacted by the cold, although a room temperature application is preferred such that the softener can evaporate.

JimGo

I can attest to that Lou. My "shop" is outside and unheated (except for the space heater I occasionally use), and I used to keep my TSW out there. It's been through some pretty hot days over the summer, and several nights in the single digits this winter, yet it still works great.

wudwrkr

I just started using TSW and have a question for the experts who use a buffing wheel for finishing the pens. Do you apply and buff the TSW in the same way you do the white diamond or will the buffing wheel just take off the coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom