trimming excess CA glue on ends of barrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

I've quite happily gotten to the point where I can consistently get a CA finish with which I'm very happy (using the simple method of sand to 600 or sometimes 1800 grade MM, clean (I use accelerant), 10-12 coats of thin CA with a puff of accelerant between each coat, applied with the blank between centers, no bushings).

The biggest problem I still have is when I go to trim off the little bits of glue that go over the ends of the barrel I sometimes get the dreaded lift of the finish.

I've been using my barrel trimmer to do it, by hand, and I do it before I put the blanks back on the lathe to do final sanding/polishing so that the blanks sit flush against the bushings.

I know a lot of you do this very differently (e.g., CA applied with bushings, just snap them off (I have the same problem occasionally with that too!)), but what I'm really trying to find is does someone know the trick to avoid the lift applying the CA glue the way I'm applying it? e.g., would higher speed for the barrel trimmer prevent it, so perhaps I should stop doing it by hand and using my drill press or hand drill?

Thanks for any tips.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

jkeithrussell

I think these do a great job. I have mine and it works great for what your talking about.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42098

Slow typing again!

These are awesome. They work not only for CA (at least mine worked for CA before I forgot how to apply a CA finish), but also for making sure the tube isn't sticking up (especially when working with synthetics), and can also be used on the lathe to trim barrel ends. Really good tool.

Munsterlander

As usual, why the heck didn't I ask this question a long time ago! Funny, I was thinking about trying to make something exactly like this because when I made my first Panache the barrel trimmer head isn't big enough for the wide end of the kid. I should have known this had been solved a long time ago...

Thanks guys. I've already posted an inquiry to Rick.

mick

I learned this trick from Lou. I too apply my thin CA finish without bushings and once I'm through I keep a piece of glass nearby with some 400grit sandpaper on top. a few twists of the barrel and ......nice clean ends. I've found that over time you'll get better at applying the finish, depositing less CA onto the ends of the blanks.
On a side note I think this way of applying the finish helps BY sealing the ends of the wood and if cleaned up properly you eliminate the possibility of marring your finish from over agressively pressing your fittings in.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know a lot of you do this very differently (e.g., CA applied with bushings, just snap them off (I have the same problem occasionally with that too!)), but what I'm really trying to find is does someone know the trick to avoid the lift applying the CA glue the way I'm applying it?

Thanks for any tips.

This was the very thing that drove me to mandrel-less/turning between centers. It was the "snap" that caused the lifting for me.

AS to getting a flush finish - I use a barrel trimmer sander. I have not had a single lift in two years since I started started with mandrel-less and using the sander/trimmer.

I use a regular trimmer (with carbide blades) to get close on unturned delicate blanks and bring it up flush with the sander trimmer. Then I use the sander trimmer to bring to flush on CA finishes.

This is slower and not for everyone. It will add 3 to 5 minutes to a finished pen and those turneres in production mode for sales - will find this decreasing output at the end of the day. However for those who are concerned about finer detail and making pens individually, it is worth it.

thewishman

I learned this trick from Lou. I too apply my thin CA finish without bushings and once I'm through I keep a piece of glass nearby with some 400grit sandpaper on top. a few twists of the barrel and ......nice clean ends.

Instead of glass, I lay a strip of 400 grit on my lathe bed - it is nice and flat, too (and won't shatter).:)

DurocShark

I picked up some marble floor tiles from the BORG clearance rack and use those for my sandpaper. They work great if you do the scary sharp thing.

Top Bottom