Tried Wipeon poly this time. - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Tried Wipeon poly this time.

So my first 2 pens I finished with Bullseye Shellac. It does a decent job and dries fast which is a plus, but still not getting a high sheen with even 6 coats. I know I know ca finish. Not ready for that just yet. But for my third pen I wanted to try the wipeon poly. I did this pen with Zebrawood. I really like how it turned out. I put 4 coats of poly on. I sanded with 1000 grit between coats. Yea it took a while to cure. It's 4 hrs between coats. I turned this sunday evening, put 1 coat on. Then put another coat Monday morning before I went to work. Came home and put 3rd coat on and then 4th before bed. I like the way the finish looks. The pics don't show real well, but it has a nice shine to it. I know for most of you that time is of the essence but for me its just a hobby and I'm not selling any at this time and have no timely demands. Ok, on to my 3rd pen.
Attached Thumbnails
done3.jpg   done2.jpg   done1.jpg  
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 83

If you are going to do poly, why not try some lacquer. Gives a deeper shine and works great on wood.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
If you are going to do poly, why not try some lacquer. Gives a deeper shine and works great on wood.
I don't have any. Lol I planned on getting some of that also to compare finishes and see what I like.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 461

Try putting it under a light to get some heat to assist the curing. When I do this, I can repeat the Poly in about 2 hrs.

Looks fine so far.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Thank you for sharing your results.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Try putting it under a light to get some heat to assist the curing. When I do this, I can repeat the Poly in about 2 hrs.

Looks fine so far.
I wasnt in a hurry for the finish. Thats why I let it set as long as I did. I'm just experimenting with few things.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
Quote:
I don't have any. Lol I planned on getting some of that also to compare finishes and see what I like.
You will be amazed at the difference. Lacquer is thinner than poly so you may need to build but the great thing about lacquer is it will melt into the last coat unlike poly where it just lays on top and that is why many times it needs a tooth to adhere well and sanding is required between coats.

Again all this stuff comes down to what you are looking for and everyone has their own tastes and desires when it comes to finish. No right and wrong here. If experimenting make notes of what you are doing so that you can duplicate the results if need be. Also remember not all woods finish the same way. Open grained woods, oily woods, closed grained woods and so on all play a role. have fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
Quote:
You will be amazed at the difference. Lacquer is thinner than poly so you may need to build but the great thing about lacquer is it will melt into the last coat unlike poly where it just lays on top and that is why many times it needs a tooth to adhere well and sanding is required between coats.

Again all this stuff comes down to what you are looking for and everyone has their own tastes and desires when it comes to finish. No right and wrong here. If experimenting make notes of what you are doing so that you can duplicate the results if need be. Also remember not all woods finish the same way. Open grained woods, oily woods, closed grained woods and so on all play a role. have fun.
Yes sir! I'm actually doing another one but this time got me a can deft lacquer. I'm using wenge wood and it seems a little pourus. When I use poly on anything, I sand with 1000 grit after each coat. Did the same with the shellac and plan on doing it with the lacquer. I do it just in case there's something too small for me to feel or see. Lol Luckily, the lacquer does dry about half the time of poly. We'll see how it does. Time doesn't bother me too much using poly and so far I like the finish I got with the poly. Hopefully the lacquer will turn out as good.

Last edited by bsshog40; 10-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

When looking at any brand of wipe on poly check for amount of thinner. Never buy a product with more than 60% solvent/thinner.

If look at this product label over 75% solvent/thinner (Light Aliphatic Hydrocarbon)
Essentially naphtha and lesser degree mineral spirits.

https://www.minwax.com/document/SDS/en/US/027426409002

While the more solvent/thinner used, might allow for faster drying but more coats are needed!

Whether using poly or varnish today different chemical resins a 50% resin to 50% solvent/thinner prefered. Two coats of that 50/50 mix equals one coat of poly or varnish. Some folks use less solvent/thinner to mix thier own wipe on poly or varnish.

You can do the same with thinned lacquer with about 20% lacquer thinner.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I really like the looks of the poly finishes I've been getting. Yea it is time consuming waiting 4 hrs between coats, but I got me an idea. I made this little drying rack. Lol 3/16" dowel and 7mm bushings slide over them nicely. Put some CA bushings between them to keep them from sticking together. Now I can lathe, coat and then put them up to dry and be able to start lathing my next pen. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
dry-pegs.jpg  
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads