Tried CA finish for the first time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyBal

I tried my hand at applying a CA finish for the first time. Big mistake! Never use your hand. A paper towel works much better. But seriously folks, I was not totally successful, but I did learn a lot. The first thing I learned was to not apply at 3750 RPMs. 500 RPMs works much better. The CA will actually stay on the blank & not the wall, ceiling, face, shirt, ect. The second thing I learned was to separate the bushings from the blank in between coats. It might take more time but it beats the alternative of trying break them loose after several coats. The third thing I learned was that a CA finish is incredibly hard to completely sand off. I messed up twice & decided to start over both times. What a PITA! I had to break out the 60 grit & it still took a long time. Anyway, I am not giving up & will try again soon. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Did you ever read or hear a story and think "Hey, this guy must have been watching me."? Yep, this is it. Well, Tony, welcome to the deeper, darker area of the Vortex - known as CA finishes. Kind of like Lord of the Rings. A horrible struggle but in the end, successful results are amazing!

Carry on!!!!

Craftdiggity

Tony,

Your first try was similar to my own. One thing I can tell you is less is more. Apply thin coats, just a swipe or two at a time and build it up that way.

P.S. wax the bushings like Grant said.

The other problem is when it soaks thru the paper towel and sticks to your finger - it does come off with a little bit of skin... I now wear a glove.... I mean a friend I know now wears a glove...

JamesB

I have problems with the finish having a "stripe" where the trailing edge of the towel wiped it off as I swiped. A plastic bag from pen parts helps some.

If it ever happens again that you have to start over, use a skew and very( stress the very!) lightly turn the CA off. Don't ask me how I know this:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carl Fisher

Turning the CA off with your tools is much easier than trying to sand it off. Just be careful to take light cuts so you don't end up taking down your base material any more than necessary to clean it up and start over.

I've started doing all of my ca finishes between centers with no bushings. Much easier process, just takes a bit longer for double barrel pens.

triw51

I use rubber gloves like in Dr.'s offices (my doctor game me a few boxes for a pen) I don't use a paper towel I use a glove covered finger to apply the CA directly to the pen blank while turning at a slow speed. The other thing I learned by accident was taking a hand full of sawdust from the pen you are turning and burnishing the CA glue before it drys holding it tight around the turning blank for about 20 seconds. (I do this at full speed) The finish was beatiful.

renowb

Could you make a youtube video of that? LOL!! Keep trying, it gets better! I've had CA thrown all over the place and yes, do use a slower speed.

MarkHix

Try practicing on practice wood first. Turn some scrap round, sand it and give a go. Keep trying. Until you have glued the paper towel to your hand, your hand to the lathe and at least one other body part, you have not succeeded.

Top Bottom