Tony's eclectic acrylic finshong system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Ok...just spoke to a guy (Nick0 of Meguiar's). He said that 105 and 205 contain oil, but that is just to transport the abrasive - not to fill scratches. I asked about what would find if I applied IPA....he said a scratch-free surface. Maybe, he is "selling". Ok. my works is done here as far as my curiosity is concerned. Hakuna Mattata!

I took a ton of shorts and steps along the way. I will post on a PDF file if any one wants it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Hey Tony,
In all honesty I think you would be well received by the group. You seem real passionate about turning so that's the common trait. My first meeting was in December and walked away with new friends. We may give you a hard time about talking funny but I'm guessing you have thick skin. Plus you own a gun and a knife....you can't be all that bad :biggrin:

TonyL

Very thick. And you forgot, my best friend owns chickens! I made him a camo pen. That... I am still getting used to :).

I bought a camo "Snugglie" as a gag gift to our office Christmas party several years ago and the gals were "fighting" over it. They kept thanking me for it, and wanted to know why I didn't buy a gag gift. Sure I will go. I have to transition my," Yous Gize", to "Y'all".

Well made number 6, the Rejex is drying then on to assembly. I took a ton of pics which I am now too tired to post.

I need to get beyond trim lines and designer pens.

TonyL

All forward direction..same results!

Tony your system sound like a really good one and I would like go give it a try, however my HF lathe does not go in reverse so would I flip the blanks 90 deg. to achieve the same results.

You are good to go. I will edit my document. Thanks for asking.

Gary Beasley

Why don't you come over between 2 and 4 today and I will show you myself? Maybe I lucked-out 5 times in a row? Tomorrow is also good. I need an excuse to make a pen LOL.

Meguiar's isn't open yet; I sill want to ask them about any fillers.

I don't think the club needs or wants a newbie showing them what I do. If I had equipment I would tape it and post the results under magnification.

If you have a 10 or 20x loop and decide to come over, bring it. I am just using a large magnifying glass.

Actually the club would welcome your input. My son did a demo, I think on custom slims, and we all had a great time of it. He was just as much a newbie as you.

I would be happy to. But let's set this up.

• I am a newbie
  • I was born in Brooklyn/Queens and attend college in the Bronx.
  • I am not only a Yankees fan, but a "Yankee".
  • My family didn't come over on the Mayflower (Italian American).
  • I am not using equipment that many very talented and experienced sponsor sell - although I do own it.
Why don't I just come as dressed in Union garb, and start the meeting with the Gettysburg address :)? While I love it here (and the people as much as the state) and can't stand NYC, I don't think I will "blend".

I do own a gun and pocket knife now and my best friend raises chickens - so I am trying, but don't want to risk offending any one. Thanks for the offer though!

Now my beautiful wife of 26 years, has the same background (we lived across the street from each and are childhood sweethearts), but she is the sweetest, little thing (she really is little) in the world. She, they would accept.

Ok. Time to insert the painted tubes!

Sounds like you'll fit right in!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Tony your system sound like a really good one and I would like go give it a try, however my HF lathe does not go in reverse so would I flip the blanks 90 deg. to achieve the same results.

Thank you Tony, I'm glad I did ask. When you edit your document would you send a copy to scrollnut@cox.net so I can give it a try. Thanks

Last edited:

TonyL

I took a bunch of pictiures. I am going to place them in a pdf and see if I can add to the library.

TonyL

Sent

Thank you Tony, I'm glad I did ask. When you edit your document would you send a copy to scrollnut@cox.net so I can give it a try. Thanks

Should be there already!

TonyL

Here are the pics.

I named them so they would make sense as to what they were.

They are slightly out of order....but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 1_Meg 105.jpg
    1_Meg 105.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 1A_150 to 400 grit dont remember.jpg
    1A_150 to 400 grit dont remember.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 114
  • 1A_600 but b4 MM.jpg
    1A_600 but b4 MM.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 1A_Just finished Turning no sanding yet.jpg
    1A_Just finished Turning no sanding yet.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1A_my final MM 4000.jpg
    1A_my final MM 4000.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1A_right befor Rejex after 105 and 205.jpg
    1A_right befor Rejex after 105 and 205.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 1A_applying 105 or 205.jpg
    1A_applying 105 or 205.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 1A_all finishing complete.jpg
    1A_all finishing complete.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 1A_indoor Close-up.jpg
    1A_indoor Close-up.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 1A_Finished_yes I need a light box.jpg
    1A_Finished_yes I need a light box.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

TonyL

Updated finish document.

I made some minor changes in the event that you don't have a reversible lathe (just don't use reverse:)). No reverse was used in the pics above. The results were exactly the same.

I also remind everyone that I have only tried this on acrylic acetate blanks. I have NO idea what to expect from another material. And remember four weeks ago today, I bought a lathe and turned my first pen. So takes this "advice" from the freshman that I am . I am up to 30 pens, but the last 6 all used this process.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Tony’s Acrylic Finishing Process.doc
    28 KB · Views: 129

plano_harry

Why don't I just come as dressed in Union garb, and start the meeting with the Gettysburg address :)? While I love it here (and the people as much as the state) and can't stand NYC, I don't think I will "blend".

I do own a gun and pocket knife now and my best friend raises chickens - so I am trying, but don't want to risk offending any one. Thanks for the offer though!

Don't worry, Southerners will happily accept you if you don't talk about "The War of Northern Aggression" or act like a Yankee, and people in Georgia love to hear that it is better than NYC! :tongue: If you are in doubt, wear your NRA hat - nobody will mess with you :wink:

TonyL

Safety Update to "TonyL's" Finishing Process

Please forgive this oversight; it surely is a reflection of my being new to the hobby, but not an excuse.

One very thoughtful member, kindly reminded me about not approaching a rotating lathe with a large piece of cloth. I am sure many of you know this, but I wanted to publish this advice anyway. I updated my finishing instructions to include this safety advice. I also took some pictures of small pieces of cloth - no greater than 2 inches by 2 inches - because a single picture is worth a thousand words.

Thank you for reading, and special thanks to the member's sage advice.

Attachments

• Small pieces of cloth.jpg
    Small pieces of cloth.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Tony’s Acrylic Finishing Process.doc
    29 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom