Tips for Using Bob Smith (BSI) Supergold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alex D

Quick question for those of you who use BSI Supergold. I want to give it a try for a variety of reasons and have seen a few posts here indicating that there is a learning curve to using it as compared to a traditional CA finish.

However, other than mentions of there being differences on how to apply it, I could not figure out what those differences were and what different techniques work for this CA (may just be my poor search skills though).

Given that this stuff is not cheap, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if at all possible.

Thanks!
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I have switched to Supergold and Supergold +...

...because I developed a serious sensitivity to the fumes from the regular CA.

I have only noticed a difference in the viscosity of their thin, but it was easily compensated for when I applied it. I don't think you will have any problem; it just applies a bit differently. Sanding and polishing went well.

I can't give you any specifics because I just noted the difference and moved on. It didn't seem significant.

At least that was my experience.

wouldentu2?

I did not notice any difference in in how it goes on, there are only the materials people use to apply it. I use the craft foam since the CA costs twice as much for half as much. The craft foam does not absorb the CA so I never have to use more than 1 drop at a time for a sierra or half a slimline. Sand and polish as normal.

Alex D

Thank you both. It sounds like although there are some differences, there isn't anything that requires drastic changes in technique.

I'm going to give the craft foam a whirl because as you mentioned, it's twice as much for half as much!

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
After I stopped using paper towel 8 years ago, and went to applying CA with applicators (nitrile gloves, small parts bags, foam applicators - I do not use the CA fast enough in an 8 oz bottle before it went bad. (Well, I usually kept an 8 oz of Thin, Med and Thick on hand at the same time.) 4 OZ at a time was more than enough for me to do for a while with non absorbing applicators.

While I am highly sensitive to CA fumes, I went the other route and added DC, Fan and respirator, which was very effective. But I am about to try the odorless soon.

Top Bottom