Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Just got through putting three coats of Trans Tint in DNA on maple (old cutting board). I noticed that there were a few fuzzies raised. I had gone through 600 sandpaper before applying the TT. I plan on a CA finish. Taking a break and letting it dry completely. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I assume we are talking pen blank here??? I would use a brown paper bag and knock fuzzies off with that and wipe with a clean soft rag and have at it with CA.

Woodchipper

Good idea. Paper can be an abrasive. Had paint rubbed off an appliance during a move. Cardboard and paint aren't compatible.

Woodchipper

john T., the paper bag worked great. It basically burnished it and the tint looks great....at least my wife says so. I'll go with her opinion. I applied eight coats of thin CA and the blank is much better than I anticipated.
Chris, good to know in the future.
Trying to get some decent photos of four pens I recently built. That's another issue for me.

Woodchipper

This is the Trans Tint blue dyed maple from an old cutting board. Trust the photo is decent. Took it with my Android phone. A set of four pens are on Show Off Your Pens.

Attachments

• 20180926_144717.jpg
    20180926_144717.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 183

jttheclockman

Glad it worked for you. It is an old woodworkers trick. Learned that many years ago from my Dad. The pen turned out very nice. Trans tint dyes are very useful.

Top Bottom