Stickers and CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

I am making a pen for a Dallas Cowboy fan and decided to add a silver star sticker and seal it in with CA. Well the CA took the silver off the sticker. Is there a certain type of sticker I need to get? I have seen others do this. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

or apply modge podge to the sticker and let dry before your CA finish
They still make Modge Podge? That's so 70's. :)
Curt

:biggrin:,yep. I bought some "Martha Stewart" decopauge elixir stuff at the craft store and used it to make a stamp pen last week. It worked perfectly. I slathered a coat on over the stamps that were glued on a turned wood blank, waited an hour, then built up a heavy CA finish. It turned out great!

csr67

Glad to hear that. Yes, once I realized I could seal a stamp or anything glued to a bare wood blank, then CA over it to get a nice pen, lots of options opened up!

Not sure about that prior comment regarding it takes 3-4 weeks for Modge Podge to dry. Maybe is you put on a 1/2" coat! I brushed a light coat over a stamp pen, let it dry one hour on a warm day, then did my CA finish. It turned out perfect with no issues.

CREID

Don't take my word for it. Do like I did look on the website and cal the company and ask. It's a WATER based product. It does take time to dry.
I spent over 30 years in the inks and coatings business with the last 20 plus years specializing in water based inks and coatings ( modgepodge would be classified as a coating ). If ANY waterbased product put on at the thickness that would be used to coat something on a pen took 3-4 weeks to dry, it would never dry. I doubt very seriously that it would take 3 - 4 weeks to dry. I actually know the chemistry behind waterbased products. If I were you I would call the company and ask your question again and be more clear on what exactly you are asking.
Curt

Daddy1

So initially the modge podge worked good....but when I went to sand it it peeled off in layers. I switched to clear acrylic and had much better results. Here's what I did!

Attachments

• Ironman.jpg
    Ironman.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 143

csr67

So initially the modge podge worked good....but when I went to sand it it peeled off in layers. I switched to clear acrylic and had much better results. Here's what I did!

Are you applying CA finish over the modge podge once it's dried? I did the modge podge on my stamp pens, let dry, then did 2 thin, 8 med. CA coats. I then wet sanded to 12,000 MM pads and polished with Hut's on my buffer. No peeling of finish at all.

Daddy1

I am now working on the Cowboys pen and using acrylic but the process is S L O W. Trying to build up the coats so you can't feel the sticker and the pen in smooth and even. I think next time I will make the pen and just cast it in PR.
CSR67, I will give it another shot maybe. I'll apply it and let it dry for 1-2 days and see what happens.

Top Bottom