Stick Fast CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smulax

I know its not a pen but I have been using the stick fast system on my pens with great results. I tried it on some bottle stoppers and keep getting these white rings in the finish. I have already sanded this one down a few times and started over. I am using the same technique on the bottle stoppers that I use on the pens. What am I doing wrong? P.S. Thank you all for the wonderful work you do.
IMG_3421.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

That is called bloom. It's induced from moisture.

the other thing is after a few days when it's fully cured drop it on a hard surface from 6 feet and note what the finish looks like.

jttheclockman

That is called bloom. It's induced from moisture.

the other thing is after a few days when it's fully cured drop it on a hard surface from 6 feet and note what the finish looks like.

Really Ed. Even for you. Is this how you test all your pens???

jttheclockman

Stickfast has many threads written about it here. Not one of the best CA glues for reviews. You may want to give us a little background as to how you are applying and are you using accelerator and what brand??? If using an accelerator is is a spray can or a spray pump??? Lets start there before you try playing basketball with it.

Are you getting the ring in the same place every time you redo it??? There maybe some moisture in the blank and being that is the fattest part of the blank it may need some drying. Is this the only stopper you had trouble with??

Last edited:

C. Scott

Bloom can be a result of using too much activator. Try no activator for the first couple of coats.

Incorrect. Activator itself does not cause bloom.

Well, I've had problems with using the Stickfast Activator in combination with another brand of glue (the name escapes me for the moment but it's what Ed and Dawn sell) blooming, at least it looks like the pic above.

When that happens (after I strip it off) I just let the glue sit a little longer before lightly spraying the rotating barrel. Whether it's moisture in wood or caused by too much activator I can't precisely say.

Just my two cents.

Smulax

The bottle stopper is a chunk of cedar I found in the woods several years ago. The ring shows up in random locations. I am using a pump sprayer. I also will try the old standard blo and ca that I have been using. I just thought I would try the stick fast because I like the high gloss shine I got on my pens.
image.jpg1.jpg

BigNick73

I'll toss in my 2 cents which are probably worth less.

What speed is the lathe at? Only time I've gotten that is going too fast and too thick. I have a small midi lathe and run it as slow as it'll go and do 15-20 light coats. I only use satellite city hot stuff super T brand in medium weight no alternating thin/medium/heavy. It should look like you're just re-wetting the blank, not actually building anything up.

For the activator I have that same bottle on my bench and I just do 1 pump from 6 inches or so away after every coat.

Top Bottom