Steelwool 0000 ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

I would be leary about using it. If it hung on something, it could pull the strands of metal into the pen, and bits of your hand with it. Not something I would use with the lathe spinning. That said, if you are using it to so with the grain polishing, I find it similar to the 320 grit paper I use.

dougle40

Doghouse beat me to it , I definately would NOT use steel wool on a turning lathe . That's also the reason that I use paper towel to apply the finish to a lathe project . I made the mistake once of using a rag to polish a pen body and had the rag get caught up in the live center and it was ripped out of my hand , luckily there was no damage to me or the pen but there could have been .

samm47

DON'T use steelwool I tried it and it gets hung up....Let alone it puts metal into the pen it also puts it in you...Yes I always use a paper towel, it is much better to be safe then sorry..

Fred in NC

I would not use steel wool on pens, especially on the lathe.

Little known fact is that a brown (kraft) grocery bag can be used as sandpaper for wood. It is about the same as 2500 regular grit, or 8000 MM. Regular paper towel is even finer.

daledut

First MM means Micro Mesh. There was a comarison chart in the files on Yahoo Penturning group.

I must add my comments about steel wool. First I agree that it can and does get caught if using it while the lathe is spinning. However, it is great for between coats of CA for finishing. I use it lengthwise with the lathe off. You can wipe or blow away the fine steel hairs between coats.

I have tried the Scotch Brite type pads that are supposed to be equivelant to steel wool, but I don't get the same results.

I use 0000 steel wool on every pen I make.

Fred in NC

Serge, MM is Micromesh. The abrasive is on a rubbery base with a cloth backing.

The grit sizes in MM do not correspond to the regular and wet/dry sandpapers.

I suggest you look for "Micro Mesh?" in the Finishing forum.

This site has good info about it:
http://www.ss-sci.com/micromesh.htm

Hope this helps.

jrc

I've made 6000 pens and use it to even out the light sanding of the top coat of CA before the friction polish and it sometimes, 1 in a 500 catches on the built up CA on the bushings. I take a small flat screw driver and scrap it off while running. Nothing works better so I keep using it.

wayneis

Serge, A couple of things to consider with steel wool. First it can be used without problems if you use a small piece formed into a pad. Next there is another product, a synthetic steel wool that is not a metal. The metal version of steel wool will rust so if you have small bits that get stuck in a small void or even a tiny crack could end up turning into a spot of rust. I have used the synthetic wool but I like Micro Mesh much better than anything else that I've tried so far.

Wayne

Darley

Thank's wayne for your input I think I will get a set of MM from BB as he got a set from 2400 to 12000 for $ 10.50, so I will give a go as I see that all of you on this site use it ,,,,,ghoooossssssss we are very poor in Australia for penturning items[:(]
Thank's again

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom