Stain under CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emery

Does anyone know of a stain or treatment that does not interact with CA. I just made some Mahogany pens. After sanding and cleaning with mineral spirits they are beautiful and show grain really well but grain is much less dynamic as the mineral spirits dry. Is there a way to keep the richness of the grain and finish with CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
The application of thin CA should soak in a bit and help pop that grain Emery...more coats equals more depth. You can also oil it...wait a until the oil (antique, tung oil finish) cures and CA over that as an option. Since you didn't post any pictures...we can only guess at the existence of these pens...:rolleyes::wink:

Emery

I'll probably go ahead and finish with CA. I'll post pictures of completed pens. Past experience with CA and TruOil has me gun shy.

plantman

:):) Emery: My incounters with mineral spirits is that it tends to either mix with or dry out the natural oils in the wood making them duller. If you are using this to remove fine dust before finishing, try using a tac rag to remove any particles before finishing. These can be found in any paint or automotive store. The CA finish is the best that I have found to bring out the beauty and grain of woods. At least this has been my solution to loss of luster or color. Also I suggest finishing right after turning as some woods will begin to oxidize and dull quickly. Jim S

GaryMGg

I like to use Walnut Oil on woods such as Mahogany to bring out the luster but other oils including BLO work too.
After I apply the oil, I burnish the blank until the oil feels dry to the touch.
Then, I leave it until the oil is fully cured; might take a day or three or seven.
Then, I come back to the CA finish.
YMMV.

Emery

I finished the first blanks yesterday, 3 hours after turning. I just finished the second set but use tack clothe just prior to finishing. The second ones have more grain "pop" even after sitting out over night. Thanks for the idea of the tack clothe, I had one but hadn't used in a while. The pictures are from iphone adn don't show as much difference as really exists.

Attachments

• yesterday finish.jpg
    yesterday finish.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 162
  • after tack clothe finish.jpg
    after tack clothe finish.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 167
Wipe the pen with bullseye sanding sealer before you do your CA finish. They make an amber and a clear. Use which ever you want. I keep mine in a squirt bottle I got at Wallyworld. Whenever I want more definition in the grain, I squirt it on a paper towel and wipe it on while the lathe is spinning. Don't wipe a bunch of times with the paper towel as the shellac will dry fast and pull off pieces of the paper towel.

Top Bottom