Stabilized Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GodofBiscuits

I made my first pen using a stabilized Amboyna Burl blank and did the usual sanding then polishing I would do had I used a standard wood blank and did a BLO/CA finish. I must say though, I am not all that impressed with the way the blank polished up. I have been reading on the board and can not for the life of me find any information on finishing stabilized pen blanks other than the usual acrylic finishing process. Does anyone else put a finish on stabilized blanks or am I doing it the right way? I did a pen in Blythe Desert Iron Wood and with my usual BLO/CA finish I get a far better shine, more depth in the finish and a much much better feeling pen. Can I use a BLO/CA finish over stabilized blanks? will it help in any way or will I just be heading downt eh road to frustration?

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 138

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You will get answers that say one or the other is the best way to do it.

For myself, it seems impossible to be on the winning side with stabiliuzed wood, and the odds are really against me on some burl wood. The problem is that no stabilization is 100%, and some of it is a lot less than that. There will always be exposed wood fibers. No matter what I do, finish or no finish, or what finish I use, there will always be a difference in the gloss and appearance between the plastic and the exposed wood as it ages.

Last edited:

Fred

CA will work and the BLO will not as the wood is now impervious to oils. I always use MM out to the 12000 sheet and then just leave the tuning alone. This allows the blanks to be as 'natural' as an altered material can be.

I, personally, don't go for all the high gloss finishes others use with the exception of bowl finishes. Then I use friction polishes and buff with waxes as needed.

If you want a higher gloss, then you will have to use a finish for plastics as that is what the blank will be more like following stabilization.

Top Bottom