Stabilized blank question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom1697

If a blank has been stabilized and dyed, does it still require a finish? When I use acrylic blanks, I simply sand out with micro mesh and then polish. I was wondering if the same process could be followed because the blank was stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

While I was tempted to say I finish stabilized the same as unstabilized, I can't think of an instance where I did anything other than a CA finish on stabilized. So not sure I've tried a WTF finish, for example on stabilized, where I will use that occasionally on wood.

robutacion

G'day,

The answer is no and yes to your last comment if the wood is stabilised properly, the wood is plasticized and therefore it will accept the same finish as the acrylics however, if the blank has wood in resin mixed and you want a gloss/deep finish, you will require doing the CA finish, otherwise you may endup with a gloss acrylic and a satin wood, look...!

Cheers
George

If a blank has been stabilized and dyed, does it still require a finish? When I use acrylic blanks, I simply sand out with micro mesh and then polish. I was wondering if the same process could be followed because the blank was stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

KenV

Tom,

Early on I was advised that I should not need to apply a finish over stabilised wood blanks.

I discovered it was poor advice.

I found that there was variability in the wood density and the resin take varied through the blank. I also noted that wood fibers still accounted for a significant amount of the surface.

While the great base allows a thin strong film finish, consistent appearance still is significantly improved with a film finish. I cactus juice blanks now, and still use a thin film finish.

Your milage may vary, and you might get an acceptable product without a finish coating.

raar25

It depends on how punky the wood was when it was stabilized. The softer the wood the more resin and the less need to finish. In cases where the wood was solid before stabilizing such as a burl and the stabilizing was just to help reinforce the grain, there is not enough resin to properly create a final surface. I do a lot of stabilized tamarind and always get a high gloss finish because the wood is so soft and punky before hand.

Top Bottom