Spectraply Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I use thin CA (about 7-8 coats). I do take the grits up a bit higher than normal (maybe to the third or fourth micro mesh pad) before starting with CA as the plywood surface can stay a bit rough at 600 grit.

jttheclockman

What are you using the wood on??? I have used CA but also have used waterbased lacquers. always trying to keep the colors true.

beck3906

I ordered some of the 2x2 specials and planned on making stoppers. I want something easy to apply with a nice gloss. CA gives that but takes a while to build up.

jttheclockman

I ordered some of the 2x2 specials and planned on making stoppers. I want something easy to apply with a nice gloss. CA gives that but takes a while to build up.

I am using Watco lacquers for some birdhouse ornaments. I just got mine yesterday.

TonyL

I have used CA and now Solarez Thin Hard over engraving.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

KenV

For ornaments, since they do not get handled much, hard to beat shellac friction polish after sanding to a fairly high grit number. Wax buff finishs it off easily. I tend to use Johnsons Floor Wax on ornaments as final pass.

Really sharp tool helps with spectraply. Very little sanding dust.

walshjp17

For this small box, I used two coats of a version of shine juice (1/3 DNA, 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Shellac) a friend had and then finished it with two coats of Johnson's Paste Wax.

(Apologies for the sideways view :mad:)

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 268

jttheclockman

Very nice John. It is amazing what that wood can do to a project. It gives it that special look that a straight grained piece of timber just does not. Thanks for showing.

alankulwicki7

I've made a bunch of ornaments, stoppers and openers with the spectraply. I've had really good luck with sanding to 240, applying a coat or two of shellac and then a couple coats of Watco spray lacquer. Easy to apply and it dries fast...

Top Bottom