Spalted Hackberry/Alumilite Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmanship

I recently purchased & recieved some Spalted Hackberry/Alumilite blanks from ElMostro (aka Eugene).

I didn't want to keep bothering Eugene with all my goofy questions (so I thought I bother everyone......:))

I'm very eager to turn them, but my question is how do you polish them? Do you MM only, wet or dry MM, etc. etc.

Any and all assistance is appreciated
Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I agree, the wood portions of an amalgamutt blank need to be finished just like any other wood. And I have found that a few coats of CA over the alumalite portions does no harm at all. So I just finish them like any other wood pen.

Than being said, there are some things you want to watch out for when turning these blanks. First and most important, the alumalite portions of most blanks are harder than the wood! If you do not use razor sharp tools and high speeds, this will result in out of round blanks no matter what turning method you use. Second thing is that if you get the blank too hot sanding, the alumalite will get soft on you. This is also a bad thing for perfectly round blanks.

My method is to turn down to rough size, treat liberally with thin ca, go sharpen the gouge again, then turn to final size at max lathe speed, with very light cuts and apply a good bit of downforce on the toolrest with the tool. Then coat again with thin CA and sand as little as possible, using a flat backer for my sandpaper (I use a piece of corian). Then check size at the ends with a dial caliper (measuring off the components, not the bushings) and apply med CA to finish, MM to 12000 and polish with meguiars swirl remover. Works for me so far, YMMV.

James

ElMostro

Tim, no biggie. I always put a CA finish on my amalgam-mutts. To ensure a uniform surface before you apply the finish this is what I do and recommend. Turn with sharp tools, once you are close (very close) to finish diameter apply some thin CA and let it soak into the wood areas, once dry do the final turning just to "peel" of the final layer. Then dry sand up to 12000mm and finish with CA. I do apply a plastic polish (novus) as a final touch. Works for me every time. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Eugene

I recently purchased & recieved some Spalted Hackberry/Alumilite blanks from ElMostro (aka Eugene).
I didn't want to keep bothering Eugene with all my goofy questions (so I thought I bother everyone......:))
I'm very eager to turn them, but my question is how do you polish them? Do you MM only, wet or dry MM, etc. etc.

Any and all assistance is appreciated
Thanks,

Top Bottom