Solarez Finish, super hard.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

I ran across this in another forum.
Thought it was worth sharing with you guys.
https://vimeopro.com/wahoointernational/solarez/video/134341441

I like the thought it doesn't scratch ........ and doesn't chip or crack.

From what I have read you can beat on it with a piece of angle iron and it will not chip or crack, it does dent.....

Personally I want my products to be handed down from one generation to another and the products I make to have value on the second hand market.

Having a bullet proof finish sounds worth investigating to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

From what I have read you can beat on it with a piece of angle iron and it will not chip or crack, it does dent.....

Personally I want my products to be handed down from one generation to another and the products I make to have value on the second hand market.

Remember though a pen has moving parts that wear out. Put a pen in a display case and it will last forever. :)A pen is made to use. If making a component pen the components will break down also. Platings are subject to wear and tear.

Another reminder. :)Still waiting to see some of your products. If you have not figured it out yet I am much interested in your concept because I do some of the things you shown and would like to see what others are doing in the segmenting world. This is my genre in the pen making field. :)

thewishman

Watching the last of the video. It looks very interesting, love the shine.

Not sure about the 90 minute resting time after application to let it flow out. Seems like pen barrels would need to spin at a low rpm for that time. The remainder of the process seems easy - sanding on the lathe is so much easier that sanding flat work.

Will you be trying it out?

farmer

Pens

Remember though a pen has moving parts that wear out. Put a pen in a display case and it will last forever. :)A pen is made to use. If making a component pen the components will break down also. Platings are subject to wear and tear.

Another reminder. :)Still waiting to see some of your products. If you have not figured it out yet I am much interested in your concept because I do some of the things you shown and would like to see what others are doing in the segmenting world. This is my genre in the pen making field. :)

Hi John
I don't make many pens, I make allot of those Pocket chalker's.
And a pool cue from time to time, and all kinds of other stuff wagons, pirate ships kids toys.
A

The Solarez finish interest me because its durability , it doesn't scratch.
I am always looking to better my product.
I can see why pen turners wouldn't want to use this finish.
It looks kinda time consuming .

But if I was a pen buyer I would want that finish on my pen ...
Just think the pen can be dropped on concrete or gravel and not chip or scratch......

farmer

Finish

Watching the last of the video. It looks very interesting, love the shine.

Not sure about the 90 minute resting time after application to let it flow out. Seems like pen barrels would need to spin at a low rpm for that time. The remainder of the process seems easy - sanding on the lathe is so much easier that sanding flat work.

Will you be trying it out?

Yes , I will be trying it out............

I don't have UV lamp and I got lots of snow I plan on trying it this summer some time....

jttheclockman

Thanks Mike for the reply. Maybe you could show us some of the toys you make. We are all about sharing our work with others and this is how we get to know people better. There are many cool programs that help kids out and maybe this is something you do. I will hopefully be getting into making things for "Beads for Courage" program now that I will be able to return to my shop. This program has been mentioned here.

Anyway back to the finish. Hope you write up a review if you decide to try it. Pen turners are always looking for the better mousetrap. The one thing that keeps sticking out in my head though because you keep talking about dropping the pen on hard surfaces. The blank is just one part of a pen. The components in your case will be the weak link then. They still will scratch and bend and break.

Now I have not tried it but powder coating could be another way to go also. It is an indestructible formula that may work for you. Along with the traditional powder coating for metals there is suppose to be a formula for wood and other objects too. Maybe something to look into if you are into that type finishes. Maybe this finish you are talking about works in the manner that powder coating does.

Anyway good luck.

Top Bottom