Solarez Finish - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default My Solarez Update

To date, I have tried, more than three or four barrels each, three of there products. Three are available now, one the founder made especially for me given my feedback on his other products (to him, not a product review).

Of the products that are available to all now and that I tried, I like this one:

Fly Tying UV Curing Resin - Ultra Thin

It aint cheap, but only need one or two coats per barrel - sand starting at 600 or 800 , even higher, and finish anyway you want.

It has the viscosity of thin to medium CA, cures in seconds..like 2, and very hard.No tacky finish to sand off.

The next one, and much less expensive one, that I tried is this:

Fly Tying UV Curing Resin - Thin Hard

Has the viscosity of medium CA, cures in 15 to 30 seconds, but leaves a very slightly tacky finish that you must sand off (600 grit or higher takes it off). I needed 2 or 3 coats due to sanding off the tacky finish. If you want to build-up your finish, simply apply the next coat to the tacky coat. DO NOT SAND BETWEEN COATS AND DO NOT TOUCH THE TACKY COAT WHEN APPLYING MULTIPLE COATS. You only have to lightly sand the tackiness from the last coats. The coats will not look tacky; they will look high gloss.

Among the products, I used, they all shined as much as CA if not more - no way to prove it scientifically...just looks that way to me.

I do not know when the product that he formulated "for me" will be available, but the others work well and I will use them up. A little goes a very long way. I think the learning curve is shorter than applying CA, and process was definitely shorter for me. I used the flashlight that they sell...I also bought the bulb that Ed posted, but I like the light or the sun.

I applied coats with a new, clean, cheap, paint brush (disposable ones) and/or foam craft paper.

That is the extent of my knowledge and experience. Gary and Rick are top-notch. I have been on the phone and corresponding with Gary for a while - not hours, but more than minutes. I am sending him 2 pens to use or display with his product on it.

Also remember that the products that I tried, are not the ones that Ed and Farmer were referring to. Obviously, those products work too. I just don't have any experience with them.

Oh yeah...what you don't use can be returned to the bottle as long as it is clean and uncured.

I have completed about 10 barrels; I feel very comfortable with it, use less each time.

I hope this helps.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Ok maybe a rookie question but I'll ask anyway! If you turn down/sand to the exact bushing diameter, and then apply the two costs as you mentioned on the first product, is it so thick that you feel that buildup/edge when the pen is assembled? That's the problem I ran into with CA before the respiratory issues made me change finishes. I could "catch my fingernail" at every blank and part connection. Did that happen with your experience? Or did you turn down a little more to account for it?

Thanks for the review!!
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Good question. I used a brush and/or craft foam which absorb less than paper towels. It took me a few tries before I was able to consistently observe how much product was actually building. I am still learning. Moreover, the Solarez appears to sit on top of the barrel instead on initially absorbing into it. It is one of those things I had to experience.
I had to account for what the Solarez would add to the dimensions. I intentionally finish my pens by leaving the barrels "nail-catch" proud of the pen h/w. I just like them that way. It will require experimentation. The Ultra Fly Tie (first one is the thinnest and most expensive).

Peace,

Tony
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Thanks for sharing, Tony. Interesting!
Skewer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 324

I've been following this - you are doing a nice job.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Once I get a process down pat, I will publish it. I don't want to mislead folks.

Peace,

Tony
Old 11-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Great thread Tony , very kind of you to share your results and experiences with this product . I placed an order with them today on their website , it took a total of 9 minutes from when order was placed to receive a shipping notification and tracking # . I'm impressed
adirondak5 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just finish but did not buff out another Jr Gent. I used 4 and 5 coats this time. I will buff out tomorrow. Remember, what you don't use/expose to UV can be returned to the bottle. I will keep you updated.

Peace,

Tony
Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I received my order from Solarez the other day and last night got around to testing it out . With Tony's permission I'll give you my impression so far , now remember I'm new to the pen turning game but I am a fairly experienced wood worker and usually use nitrocellulose lacquers on most of my other projects . The products I got from Solarez are Ultra Thin Bone Dry and the High Output UV Cure Flashlight . The Ultra Thin Bone Dry comes in a .5 0z bottle , the flashlight takes either 2 cr123 batteries or 1 rechargeable 18650 battery of which I had so I didn't need to purchase any batteries . The UV flashlight is a quality light similar to a Mag Lite , aluminum construction with o-rings .
I turned a stabilized maple blank down to round between centers and sanded it to 600 grit just for a quick test , I applied the solarez Ultra Thin to the blank with the attached applicator brush on the cap , I turned the lathe by hand for this . I would say the first coat was thin , but I made sure I had good coverage . I continued turning the lathe by hand for another minute or so so the Ultra Thin could level out , then I applied the UV light and after about 10 seconds it was cured hard . I then repeated application and UV light once more the same way . Next I sanded starting at 800 grit and going to 1500 grit , then Micro Mesh to 12000 , after that I buffed with a paper towel and novus 2 followed by a paper towel and 3M Finesse It II . Here are some Cell phone pics of results .

There was a slight odor from the Solarez but not unpleasant or over bearing , it sanded well and has a good shine . I think I will go with more than 2 coats on an actual pen barrel and buff it with a buffing wheel . It has a different feel to it , almost feels like holding a glass tube .
I didn't spend a lot of time with this little test , but I like the results , I am going to play around with it more and may try some of their other products . My initial impression is I like it . Sorry for the long winded report , hope it helps add to the knowledge base
Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Awesome!!! How thick was the buildup on your test?
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads