Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I am not really new to the game anymore. I thought I had a handle on finishing most any material. I decided to take the plunge and bought some Snakewood from Nolan. I have finished and sanded off the blanks about 4 times now. The finish is very glossy but splotchy. Some areas show more depth of shine than others. If this makes sense to anyone could you please tell me where I'm failing to see what needs to be done. I'm using ca, tried both BLO and NO BLO, with equal results. I have done with as few as 5 coats and as many as 15. The results looked the same but with the "splotchy areas" being in different locations. I'm about to toss the whole works in the garbage and move on. :mad: Any help appreciated.

Landon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I bought a bunch of snakewood blanks and had the same results you did with the first one. It is sitting in my "whne I get more time and esperience" pile now. If you do discover the secret, don't keep it a secret.
Stephen

Fred

Nope, not just the operator ... the wood is also a part of the problem. It can be tamed though.

Sand to the level you want. Keep in mind that a clear finish like CA will magnify any defects and/or scratches in the wood.

Clean the blank prior to application of the CA. Use something that dissipates rapidly, i.e., something along the lines of Naphtha. Use a new, clean portion of a link free cloth with every cleaning.

Then immediately apply a very thin coat of CA ... DO NOT USE ACCELERATOR to avoid the heat generation. Let it cure for a few minutes then reapply additional coats of CA as needed to get the finish you desire. MM in between coats if needed.

Remember that Snakewood is notoriously subject to cracking and this usually is the result of heat buildup from drilling, turning, and or sanding to aggressively. Take your time with this wood and do not build up heat by being impatient. You will be rewarded for your patience with this wood.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
It has been drilled and turned for several weeks now, I let it sit after turning. It did crack(had a hairline to begin with)I let it and filled it. I will try as suggested and see what happens. Thanks.

Top Bottom