Slippery Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I'm looking to make a gimick of sorts, and was wondering if there is some sort of finish out there that would be really slippery when touched by the hand/fingers.

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

LOL Vaseline...Okay, before this gets out of hand, I'm looking to create a bottle stopper that no one would want to use, i.e. a sharp point on top, no-where really to grab it, and if you do, have it be such that you can't get a good grip on it. But the end result has to look nice.

Russianwolf

no, if you want no grip, a short cone shape is the way to go. if it's a tall cone, then you can get your whole hand involved. With a short cone, you;ll only be able to use a couple fingers.

jimbob91577

Short Cone

That's exactly what I was thinking, but make it more like a "spinning top" bottom whereas the point of the cone is sharp enough that you don't want to use the palm of your hand to insert it into the bottle.

Also, make the lip of the bottle stopper smaller in diameter than the diameter of the bottle opening so that the user cannot grab it around the edge.

This is an excercise in designing a pretty object, but that is totally useless.

BTW I'm using a simple silicone stopper end and not a nice stainless steel stopper.

Russianwolf

or. Get one of Ruth's flat top stoppers and glue a carbacon or a wood button on top of it. Nothing else. Push it in and it might be 1/4 inch over the top of the bottle.

nava1uni

drill a hole in the bottom of the stopper and glue in a bearing. Then glue the shaft to the bearing. It would just spin with no drag at all. You could use a small router bearing. If you really burnished the wood with a brown bag then applied several layers of friction polish and then several layers of furniture wax it would be pretty slippery. This coupled with your sharp design might be fun to watch someone try to open.

Mr Vic

How about a hidden stopper...instead of just covering the cork and top of the bottle it could extend down past the bottom of the bottle...

On second thought that wood waste a bunch of pen blanks.....go with a BLO/VPG finish...

That's exactly what I was thinking, but make it more like a "spinning top" bottom whereas the point of the cone is sharp enough that you don't want to use the palm of your hand to insert it into the bottle.

Also, make the lip of the bottle stopper smaller in diameter than the diameter of the bottle opening so that the user cannot grab it around the edge.

This is an excercise in designing a pretty object, but that is totally useless.

BTW I'm using a simple silicone stopper end and not a nice stainless steel stopper.

You know in theory a wine bottle stopper is useless anyway... if you open a bottle of wine shouldn't you finish it? LOL

I always tell my customers that the bottle stopper is the most useless thing I make. Seems to be a good sales line since I've sold lots of stoppers this past season.

jimofsanston

constane turning stopper.

Maybe a standard top design but add a bearing that keeps the stoper truning in the hand. but then you still pull it out straight to get to the wine which you may need. put some letter on it for the person to turn the stopper to get it off though.

Top Bottom