Shellac over WTF Wood turners finish? HELP!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So was coating a pen with WTF. I dropped my only bottle after putting 4 coats on. :mad: Anyway, can't buy it around here so I was wondering if I could use shellac over it? I cant poly right now because it gets too cold at night and won't cure. Help! Lol I also have lacquer if that would work also.

Last edited:

bsshog40

Oh well, I went ahead and just buffed out what I had on the WTF and then put a couple coats of renaissance wax on it. Still didn't turn out too bad. I did post it in the "show off your pen" section. Its my leopard wood.

donstephan

Dewaxed shellac is sometimes referred to as a universal tie coat, because it will bond to almost any dried and cured finish (not mineral oil or waxes) and almost any finish will bond to dewaxed shellac.

Shellac may wear more quickly than some cured finishes, more so when mixed with linseed oil or similar as a friction polish. Nitrocellulose lacquer will over time become sticky due to the oils in our skin, and then trap dirt and look dingy. Other "lacquer" finishes that don't contain nitrocellulose lacquer may last longer.

Top Bottom