Sealing Wood Blank Ends after turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Now achieving a finish I am happy with. However, noticed that an American Patriot made with Curupay wood that cracked and fell out of my truck and lay in the grass over night (yeah, yeah, I know) had the CA finish begin to separate at the cracks (expected) but also to some extent at the ends next to the metal parts.
I ensure I get good coverage to the ends, but often need to sand the excess build-up back for a good fit. Obviously I am exposing wood in the process. Do you seal or otherwise treat the ends of the turned blanks before assembly to help prevent this?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for reminding me Mike! I used to put a drop of thin CA on each end of wood blanks AFTER trimming them down to the tube. The wood soaked it right up. After turning the barrels, I would stand them up on a piece of 320 and lightly sand in a circle. I'm sure I learned this from someone else here on the forum about 9 years ago. Sometime ago when I took a break, I forgot that step when I went back to turning. :redface:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
For burls and segmented blanks that I am worried about, I usually coat the inside of the drilled blank with thin CA, then redrill if the tube will not go in easily. I also glue in my tubes with 2 part epoxy. The thought is to stabilize the wood that is closest to the tube, not just the outside edge. Just my method.

And, I use a Polyurethane finish, not CA. CA is beautiful, but unforgiving with moisture expansion/contraction of wood blanks, or drops. I believe Poly has a bit of flex.

And as Chuck mentioned - yes, don't forget the ends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom