Sealer yet another question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This sanding sealer stuff is pretty good,Mylands.
It was reccomended to use CA as a slurry to fill the pores prior to applying the sanding sealer.
I was wondering if the sanding sealer could also be used for this.
Has anyone tried it?
I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it is common practice,don't want to waste my time if it is not a good idea.
When it comes to finishing larger projects the topic of finishing is one I know very little about.
When it comes to pens I seem to knopw less and the learning curve keeps getting steeper.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Sanding sealer should do it. I hate to have multiple layers of dissimilar materials, like CA, then sealer, then more CA ... I know sealer will seep into the wood, and CA will stick to it.

Fred in NC

My sanding sealer is blonde shellac. Shellac is called the universal sealer, because you can put just about anything over it and it will stick to it.

Most of the time I sand to about 600, and then apply the shellac with a little pad. Allow to dry, which it does pretty fast, and lightly sand 600 again before putting on a second coat. Then I sand through the grits and finish.

bnosie

You let it dry first? Completely dry, or still kinda tacky? That's the part I have been unsure of, whether you let it dry good or sand it wet.

Fred in NC

Bill, shellac dries very fast, it is alcohol based. Besides, the first coat soaks right into the wood (with most woods). I keep a cheap hair dryier by the lathe, and unless the shop is very hot, I give it a shot of hot air after a few seconds, when it starts looking kind of dull.

Because if the way I setup to do my pens, I always have something to do while waiting. For one thing, I have several mandrels, and a 2x4 with holes in it to hold them. So I can worn on a pen, take it off the lathe, and let it dry on the rack, while I work on another one. I usually work pens in batches of 4. Also, I drill and glue, etc. while I am waiting.

Fred in NC

Couple more thoughts . . .

Shellac also seals oily woods so that the oil does not mess up the finish.

Since it is alcohol based, and I put it on with a wad of paper towel or shop towel, it does remove some of the surface oil.

Just my experience, your mileage might vary !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom