Sanding through (insert number)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wolfeman46

This sounds like a way too simple question, but when I read "I sand through 600" or "I sand through 1000" what exactly does that mean? I'm using 220, 320, 400, 500 and sometimes 1000 and then I stop because that's all I have currently (I also use micromesh, but that's after I'm doing the finishes). What are the ones I'm missing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Now that's abrasive ...

:) sanding HUMOR gotta love it!

Seriously. Sanding depends on what you are sanding. The harder the material the more grits you will need to use. The variables are many like hardness of what you are sanding for one, brittleness, grain direction and growth just to name a few.

Grits is broken down by groups, there are somewhere around 3-4+ grits in each group and you really just need one. More advanced sandpaper involves harshness (soft/delicate or highly aggressive) changes and it really is a matter of picking what is right for what you are sanding.

Not all sandpaper is the same so therefore there is no technically 'correct' answer to you on this one.

Oh and "sand through X rit" means sanding from the higher abrasive grits to the finer grit of X.

Last edited:

Wolfeman46

Now that's abrasive ...

...Not all sandpaper is the same so therefore there is no technically 'correct' answer to you on this one.

Oh and "sand through X rit" means sanding from the higher abrasive grits to the finer grit of X.

HA! Your statement kind of makes me feel a little better. I didn't really know if there was an actual set of paper that went from X number to 600 or X number to 1000. Good to know that it's basically like anything else, whatever works best for you is what works. :)

Btw, your Dragon pen is amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

edstreet

With the listing that you have you do have an encompassing range of grits at your disposal. You also have one of the best things known and that is finger pressure. By changing finger pressure you get a soft 220 grit scratch or you can get a very firm and hard 220 grit scratch pattern, the choice is yours. This holds more true the finer grit you go.

I like to view it as what works best for the material you are working with. I.e. a soft wood will sand drastically different than stainless. Therefore the work application needed must be change and adapted to suit the job a hand.

JimB

This sounds like a way too simple question, but when I read "I sand through 600" or "I sand through 1000" what exactly does that mean? I'm using 220, 320, 400, 500 and sometimes 1000 and then I stop because that's all I have currently (I also use micromesh, but that's after I'm doing the finishes). What are the ones I'm missing?

Thanks!

You should add a grit or two between your 500 and 1000. The maximum grit increase is 50% from the last grit. In other words, from 500 the next grit would be a maximum of 750. Since there isn't a 750 you would go 600, 800, 1000.

There is also the Euro standard grits designated with a 'P'. A 600 grit and a P600 are not the same. The P grits also have a stricter tolerance for what is acceptable for the grit.

Top Bottom