Sanding help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Is sanding sealer mainly shellac? Is this what Mylands is? I have a piece of Honduras Rosewood that has more open grains than the rest and needs sealing of some sort. Kirk[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KKingery

I'm not sure about Mylands Kirk. I've used the Minwax sanding sealer on a few and it seemed to work ok for me. It does seem like alot of folks do use the Mylands.

G

I have just started using Mylands 3 step system.
I reccomend you talk to one of the guys at Woodturningz about it.
Jason is the one who told me about it over the summer but I was still experimenting with CA(still am).
If done right Mylands will give you a finish that is ALMOST as good in appearance to a CA finish.
There is a different feel to the pen.
The 3 step system requires cellulose sanding seealer, high build polish and carnauba wax.
I had excellent results the first attempt and tweaked the process after that.
As I said before the guys at Woodturningz can tell you more about it.Tell them Eagle sent you.
BTW
Mylands cellulose sealer is lacquer based(I believe)
After reading your original post I realized your initial concern is sealing the grain.
For this I wet sand all the way through MM using BLO.
I besure to sand Length wise between grains.
You also might try using mineral oil.
After the MM, "Friction" it in and let the pen set before finishing.
(your mileage may vary)

Fred in NC

Eagle, I have to agree with you about "Friction it in and let the pen set before finishing." That is why I like to work with several mandrels. I make pens in batches, usually 4 at a time.

jkirkb94

Thank for the ideas guys. I used an extra mandrel today. Finally bought some Mylands today but haven't had a chance to try it out. It has been quite a day!! My wife had major gyn surgery on Monday and I had to take my 88 y.o. dad to the ER today after he passed out on me 2 times today. Wife is at home and I had to leave her alone for a while, while I had to deal with Dad. Dad admitted to hospital and wife doing good. 16 y.o. daughter helped this evening with mom. Whew! Need to make some pens ASAP! Kirk[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom